We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mini Trip Report

Which Berlin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
5,550 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
Mini Trip Report

I've been to Berlin a shocking number of times - The Other Half estimates 25 since 2005 - and in recent years it's become a staycation for me, just chilling out and doing little on a week off work.

We come to Berlin the first week of December every year for shopping, Christmas markets and to get in the mood for Christmas. Bit of a tradition now. But this year I have little shopping to do, and want to get visiting cultural things again, galleries and museums. It's a long time since I've been a tourist in this city, in lots of ways.

We arrived yesterday afternoon and I thought I'd do a mini-report. It won't be a blow-by-blow account as we have friends here and nobody wants to read about me going out and drinking beer :) But I hope that by doing this it will open my eyes again to this wonderful city.

31. Re: Mini Trip Report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 11 December 2012, 22:48
Edited: 11 December 2012, 22:48
London, United...
Level Contributor
16,222 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Mini Trip Report

So glad to hear your bags have caught up with you.

I have a horror of losing my luggage since I did once lose it (on the way to a skiing holiday, which was extremely inconvenient: I had my boots on, but no ski clothes). That was in 1968, and ever since I've travelled with hand luggage only whenever possible. When I do have to check a bag through I'm anxious until I'm reunited with it.

Wannsee and surroundings will take you several weeks, I should think. I've barely scratched the surface - my fault, as I keep doing the same walk again and again because I like it so much.

But I have a good map of the Havel area that marks all the footpaths - it's in the series Schöne Heimat, Radwander und Wanderkarte and it's called "Potsdamer Havelseen Blütenstadt Werder und Umgebung - published by Dr Barthel Verlag. I think I got it at Dussmann in Friedrichstrasse. It's good for dreaming about trips I might do some day - and should be good for planning them when I get round to it.

The Schlachtensee is one of a long chain of lakes that starts in the Grunewald - from north to south it comes after the Grunewaldsee and Krummelanke, and before the Nikolassee. I got there on the S7 from Hackescher Markt to Nikolasse, then one stop back on the S1. You can also get there on the S1, direct, if that's more convenient for where you're staying. It's a great walk, and was really lovely with the autumn trees. The lake is 2 minutes from the S-bahn - you can see it when you get off the train.

Good luck with the insurance claims!

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
19,309 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: Mini Trip Report

Now you mention Werder... That's also on my list.

werder-havel.de/en_new/content/tourism/touri…

London, United...
Level Contributor
16,222 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: Mini Trip Report

Lynda, we always seem to be posting at the same time.

Yes, I thought I remembered that you'd told me you'd been to Schloss Glienicke. I'm sure you'll enjoy the walk too. I've now got Britzer Garten and Marzahn on my list too for next month - but the weather doesn't look terribly promising for long outdoor jaunts. I don't mind cold, but freezing fog I can do without. So they may have to wait for Spring.

Stern und Kreis have Berlin's waterways sewn up - I don't think any of the other firms has as comprehensive a programme. I did the one to Köpenick and around the Müggelsee in the rain, which was a bit dispiriting - I'm sure it would be nice in the sun, and I mean to do it again some day.

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,416 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: Mini Trip Report

oh boy ... I have 6 nights in Berlin in January and reading this thread makes me wish I had 6 weeks!

Trouble is, that getting there from Down Under is not nearly as easy as it is for you guys .. I wish!

Darren, your trip reports have been great - thanks for taking the time to post them.

cheers

helen

PS - I have my down jacket packed and if I look like the purple telly-tubby - too bad - I'll be warm

UK
Level Contributor
26 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: Mini Trip Report

I'm going Saturday morning to see a concert t Huxleys on Sunday. Very excited. I know it will be cold but hope I manage to get there and get home lol.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
5,550 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: Mini Trip Report

Brenbaby you should be OK. Just wrap up warm and wear layers, and make sure you wear good boots with thick soles - it's forecast to hit -10 this week!

Helen, enjoy your trip and don't worry about looking like a Teletubby, you'll blend in perfectly :-)

Level Contributor
37 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
38. Re: Mini Trip Report

Hi

This has made great reading over the last few days, I fly out to berlin in the morning for the weekend!! Really excited of not a bit nervous of the cold and the public transport!!!

X

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
5,550 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
39. Re: Mini Trip Report

Thank you Sue. I can assure you that Berlin's transport system is excellent and cheap. Day passes for Berlin AB are probably best for you (€6.50 per day) if you are there for no more than 4 days.

The system is integrated so one ticket is valid on all buses, trams, U-Bahn (subway) S-Bahn (suburban rail), local trains and some ferries. Maps are clear and simple.

I'd recommend taking the 100 bus from Zoo to the other end of the line at Alexanderplatz, try to get a seat upstairs. It's a great journey that goes past many key sites.

Enjoy it, and wrap up warm in layers!

Level Contributor
37 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
40. Re: Mini Trip Report

Thanks for that, thermals all packed an ready for the off in the morning!! Really looking forward to seeing the city and getting into some Christmas spirit.