We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help needed for Berlin for 1/2 a day on Good Friday.

Which Berlin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
chicago area
Level Contributor
175 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Help needed for Berlin for 1/2 a day on Good Friday.

We have an overnight layover in Berlin on our way from Spain to Chicago and would love to see a couple of must see''s. We arrive at Tegel Airport at 2:30 in the afternoon on Friday, March 29th and then fly out the next morning at 10am.

Any suggestions of hotels in the $100 or so price range and things to see that would still be open late in the afternoon would be great. I was thinking that if we could make it, we would love to see the Brandenburg Gate, Holocaust Memorial, and Topography of Terror. Not necessarily in that order.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
5,617 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help needed for Berlin for 1/2 a day on Good Friday.

The sites you have mentioned are relatively close together, fortunately. You could do worse than one of the Accor hotels on Anhalter Strasse, which is literally one street away from the Topography of Terror - it's just around the corner. Those hotels are also walking distance from the Holocaust Memorial. Check rates at www.accorhotels.com and look for those named "Potsdamer Platz".

chicago area
Level Contributor
175 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help needed for Berlin for 1/2 a day on Good Friday.

Thank you for your recommendations. Do you happen to know if shops, restaurants, and the Tower of Terror close early on Good Friday?

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
5,617 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help needed for Berlin for 1/2 a day on Good Friday.

I don't believe that to be the case; northern Germany isn't very catholic. Bavaria would be a different story :)

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
9,477 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Help needed for Berlin for 1/2 a day on Good Friday.

Allow me to correct this mistaken assumption. Good Friday is a public holiday all over the country. Which means that shops stay closed. No dancing or public parties are allowed that day. Restaurants will be open. Sights and museums must be checked individually. Public transport runs on Sunday/holiday schedule.

By the way, darren - Good Friday is the highest holiday of the church year to the protestants, but not to the catholics (in Italy, for example, it's a normal workday).

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
1,695 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help needed for Berlin for 1/2 a day on Good Friday.

Shops will be mainly closed, except a few shops in the railway/train stations where you can get odd things like a newspapers or drinks. Some restaurants might be closed, a few might be offering a special menue or similiar for Easter but most restaurants will be open. There isn't really a day - not even a public holiday - where Berlin is completely shut down. ;-) If you are interested in going out in the evening, you will definitely find a cafe, bar or even club which will be open.

Most sights will be open, as will many museums. But you should check beforehand if there is anything you would like to see.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
5,617 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help needed for Berlin for 1/2 a day on Good Friday.

I stand corrected! I didn't realise that Good Friday was a public holiday in Germany. I think it's because it's rarely shown as a closure day for galleries and museums.

Edited: 04 January 2013, 19:32
chicago area
Level Contributor
175 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help needed for Berlin for 1/2 a day on Good Friday.

Thank you all for your insight. I am excited that I just got a winning bid for the Berlin Marriott for just over $100 and it seems to be in a fantastic location for the sites that we would like to see during our short stay.

Does anyone know the best way to get to the hotel from Tegel Airport?

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
5,617 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help needed for Berlin for 1/2 a day on Good Friday.

The Marriott on Potsdamer Platz? Nice hotel, and I think it's a good, central location for sightseeing.

To get there from TXL, take the TXL bus to Ernst-Reuter-Platz then change for the U2 towards Pankow. It'll take about half an hour and will cost €2.40 one-way. A taxi may be marginally quicker, depending on traffic, but I'd expect to pay around €25.

9. Re: Help needed for Berlin for 1/2 a day on Good Friday.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 January 2014, 05:18