We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Berlin in February

Which Berlin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Berlin in February

I'm heading to Berlin in February with my friend, during the Berlinale festival. How safe is the city for to gals at night while there's huge festival going on? Is there any no-go-zones that we wanna avoid?

Also, I'm wondering is there some kind of "tourist Wifi"-system like in Brussels? In Brussels I could use their own wifi network a few days for a moderate fee. I'd like to have that option too in Berlin.

And how about the must-sees and all the other stuff? I don't mean the most famous places like Akexanderplats etc. I'd like to see the real Berlin! I('ve already heard I must go and try Das Klo...and I need something else to visit, too)

Berlin, Berlin...
Level Contributor
35 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Berlin in February

Berlin is super safe in my opinion, and I have lived here now for 15 years, as a girl :) - as long as you are not completely drunk or super naive (as then every place on this planet is dangerous). Especially during the Berlinale, Berlin is super friendly and like a family meeting - even famous people can go out on the streets or into bars without being harrassed.

But take a warm coat and rainproof shoes as Berlin' s weather tends to be nasty around that time.

There is no citywide network of free wifi, but a lot of cafes, bars and so have free wifi.

As a tip for Berlin tourism: try to walk as much as possible, as like this you discover the real Berlin, maximum take the bus (nr. 100 and 200 recommended) or the S-Bahn (overground railway). Sit in corner cafes and bars, eat in Imbiss (snack-bars) rather then restaurants, avoid known chains... Definetly walk through the many parks and along the canal, even in winter.

2. Re: Berlin in February

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 January 2013, 11:40
Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
750 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Berlin in February

Katharina has given you excellent advice, which I would suggest you follow to the letter. I would suggest a trip to the dome of the Bundestag/Reichstag, which you should book now online. Apart from that it really depends what your tastes and interests are. Are you interested in 2oth century history, alternative lifestyles, shopping, mountaineering - if so you;re going to the wrong place but the scenery around the lakes is beautiful - or is it to be pubbing and clubbing till you drop? Spill the beans and maybe we can help more.

PS It's a very safe city, as Katharina said.

Edited: 04 January 2013, 23:11
Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
1,695 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Berlin in February

Berlin is a fairly safe city. I've lived in Berlin most of my life and there was hardly a time I felt unsafe. The times I felt unsafe where in areas where you will probably don't get to like Hohenschönhausen at night. The area around Hermannstraße (not Hermannplatz) is not nice late at night so I avoid changing trains there but during the day it's fine. I had to change there to go to work for 3 years. Use your common sense like you would do in any big city and you will be fine.

The bar "Das Klo" might be quite funny to see but nowadays you will hardly come across locals there. It's mainly tourists there.

You should definitely go out to one of the many cafes for breakfast/brunch. It's what many locals do, especially on the weekends. If you like markets you should visit the one on Winterfeldplatz in Schöneberg on Wednesdays or Saturdays.

If you want to have a hot drink inbetween the movie watching or sightseeing you can try out the Tadshikische Teestube @ Oranienburger Str 27.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Berlin in February

Does people in berlin speak german about 100% all the time ?

Does they also speak english? I'm worried about this cause i don't speak german

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
22,839 posts
504 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Berlin in February

@ Norhisham A,

Depends on where you are going? A lot speak English, but depends on where you are spending most of your time. Are you going to tourist type places or mainly in neighborhoods where the typical resident would be at?

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
5,133 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Berlin in February

Yes, they do speak German all the time.

Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
7,228 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Berlin in February

Quiltneedle, the last time I was in Berlin I was wandering around the Torstrasse /Oranienburgerstrasse area and was surprised how much English I heard. These were not tourists but expats from around the world and seemed to outnumber the German speakers!

For the rest of town most will speak some/good English so you will be fine.

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
5,133 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Berlin in February

Bongo, I think our dear friend Sandkoss is back

Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
7,228 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Berlin in February

Yes ,I think you are right. That special variation of English that he/she uses :-)