We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New airport BER Berlin-Brandenburg now delayed indefinitely

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
17,617 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
New airport BER Berlin-Brandenburg now delayed indefinitely

"(Reuters) - Berlin's delay-hit international airport is not likely to open until 2015, the airport's technical chief was quoted as saying on Wednesday, more than three years later than original plans envisaged for what was meant as the capital's flagship project."

"The airport's opening was initially delayed to 2011. That was pushed back to 2012, then to March 2014, then to October 2013 and last week to some point in or after 2014."

reuters.com/article/2013/01/17/uk-germany-ai…

Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore, Java
Level Contributor
51,346 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New airport BER Berlin-Brandenburg now delayed indefinitely

It`s a sad news indeed..... Tegel is really choking with the passenger flow, and every newcomer to BER believes that he landed in Hogwarts broom cupboard, and not in the capital of Germany.......................

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
5,822 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New airport BER Berlin-Brandenburg now delayed indefinitely

This placed is cursed; shame, as I really dislike TXL. It's great as an arriving passenger but it's ill-equipped to deal with the volume of departing passengers.

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
17,617 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New airport BER Berlin-Brandenburg now delayed indefinitely

I like Tegel very much. Most of all, I like being able to take a taxi right to your gate. I and many of my friends here think it's a great little airport and will miss it when it finally does close.

But I also like shiny new things and I was hoping the new airport would mean more non-stop flights from Berlin.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
3,129 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New airport BER Berlin-Brandenburg now delayed indefinitely

Is the fact I cant book Easyjet flights for November because of previous plans that Schoenfeld would be closing in October and flights going to this airport, or because they haven't produced their winter schedule yet?

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,232 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New airport BER Berlin-Brandenburg now delayed indefinitely

It's because they haven't produced their winter schedule yet.

All the airlines had to revise their plans overnight last May, when the scheduled June 2012 opening of the new airport was delayed. They've now all known for some time that the delay is indefinite.

Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore, Java
Level Contributor
51,346 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New airport BER Berlin-Brandenburg now delayed indefinitely

<< because of previous plans that Schoenfeld would be closing in October >>

I was scared to death reading this sentence.... It`s always extremely difficult for me to recognize the fact the Schonefeld is an airport too..............LOL

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
1,695 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New airport BER Berlin-Brandenburg now delayed indefinitely

<<Is the fact I cant book Easyjet flights for November because of previous plans that Schoenfeld would be closing in October and flights going to this airport, or because they haven't produced their winter schedule yet?>>

Easyjet already flies into Schönefeld, to the "old" airport there. I would assume they winter schedule hasn't been produced yet.

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
17,617 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New airport BER Berlin-Brandenburg now delayed indefinitely

News reports say authorities have identified 20,000 construction flaws in the new airport, which are being classified and then must be systematically rectified.

Meanwhile, the powers that be decided to pump up to €50 million into modernizing Tegel to cope with the passenger load until the new airport (eventually) does open.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
74 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New airport BER Berlin-Brandenburg now delayed indefinitely

Having recently flown in and out of Schoenfeld recently it is about time that it was replaced. It is a relic of the old DDR.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
36 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: New airport BER Berlin-Brandenburg now delayed indefinitely

Ach mein Himmel! The construction of Berlin Brandenburg is operating on Mexican time ;) !