We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

DB Bahn, Help w Buying tickets & Dresdin to Prague trip

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
122 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
DB Bahn, Help w Buying tickets & Dresdin to Prague trip

I am trying to learn how to naviage the train and transporation in Berlin. I found a link to the DB Bahn and tried looking up trains that stop in Dresdin on the way to Prague. I will be staying at the Circus Hotel in the Mitte Neighborhood & somewhere I read about ICE trains are the faster way to travel. Am I looking in the right place & at the correct stops or cities? I came up with the following:

Gemershein Mitte Rhein stopping in Dresdner Str., Geringswalde with a destination of Praha. It gives me a option of Connections :

" All " or " without ICE " ... Don't I need the ICE option or else I'll be stuck with multiple stops enroute?

I also read somewhere that the trains only accept euros.. no USA credit cards.. Can someone please advise? side note: I would prefer not to purchase tickets for train in advance because I don't want to stress on being late .. I tend to like to know two time departures .. just in case..

Also will I have to use the U/Bahn to get to the train station or is it close the Circus Hotel? I am also coming in on a train from Amsterdam.

Dankeschön

Edited: 20 January 2013, 07:42
Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
10,064 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: DB Bahn, Help w Buying tickets & Dresdin to Prague trip

Try the correct spelling, it's "Dresden" not "Dresdin". Due to the typo Bahn.de came up with bus stops in towns far away at the opposite end of the country, entirely wrong for your planned route.

"Dresden Hbf" (Hauptbahnhof) is Dresden central station, from there you should find direct trains.

Edited: 20 January 2013, 09:15
Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
29,456 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: DB Bahn, Help w Buying tickets & Dresdin to Prague trip

There are no direct ICE trains between Berlin, Dresden and Prague - leave all the search options at the default settings.

This route is served by comfortable EC (Eurocity) trains, and each leg can be bought from www.bahn.com for €19 in advance. It is a single direct train between Berlin and Dresden and Dresden and Prague - I'm not sure what you mean about stressing on being late ...

Of course you can wait until the day of travel to buy your ticket, but you will pay twice as much.

You can use your US card anywhere in the world, regardless of the local currency. You will pay in euros (or Czech crowns in the Czech Republic - no euros here) and this amount will be converted to dollars for you.

You could also buy a ticket on the day from Berlin to Prague which costs €66.20 and this would allow you to stop off in Dresden on the way.

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
122 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: DB Bahn, Help w Buying tickets & Dresdin to Prague trip

Thanks you so much for letting me know it will save me euros if I buy my ticket in advance.

I followed your intructions to the letter and located EC trains from Berlin hpf to Praha and the prices vary according to time and transfers. Wow.. I was amazed at the differnce in prices on March 20th. On the less desirable departure time the reg fare is 68 euros for 2 adults & the savings fare is 29 euros for 2 adults. wow.. what a difference on the same 2nd class seating.

I have a few questions about reserving train tickets and seats. Say for example, I miss the train that departs at 8:46 so I get on the train that departs at 8:51. Do I have to pay extra since this tickets is more expensive according to dbahn site? Also when DB states "transfer time 19 minures" they are referring to other trains coming in & giving me the option to get off the train & transfer. I don't have to transfer.. I can wait the 19 min & we will continue on the route.. Correct? ( Hope I'm making sense.) ..

Which brings me to my last question. If I decide to get off the stop at Dresden I can jump back on the train at a later time without having to change tickets or add any euros to the fare, correct? I should have my ticket that allows me to ride all the way to Praha. If I enter Dresden as a stop over it becomes way more expensive.

I'm new to navigating the trains and looking forwad to this new experience.

Thank you.

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
122 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: DB Bahn, Help w Buying tickets & Dresdin to Prague trip

I'll be more careful with my spelling. Thanks for the help.. I wish I had time to visit the Black Forest. It's such an enchanting place.

I am trying to learn some German so I can politely ask for assistance and say some kind pleasantries. It's such a differnent langauage than Spanish or English.

Best Regards!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
9,575 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: DB Bahn, Help w Buying tickets & Dresdin to Prague trip

All discounted fares are valid only on the train you booked for, and you cannot stop on the way. If you select via 'Dresden', and specify the length of stopover, then you can continue your journey within that time (still only valid for the train you selected, unless you paid 'standard' or full fare)

Chula Vista...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: DB Bahn, Help w Buying tickets & Dresdin to Prague trip

Hi,

With regard to your "transfer time" question, you MUST get off one train and get onto another train to continue on to your destination.

When you look at the results on the bahn.de website, you'll see a column that's headed "Chg." That's how many times you will have to change trains to get to your destination.

If there's a 0 in that column, that means you don't have to change trains between your origin and destination. If there's a 1, 2, or 3 in that column, you have to change trains that many times.

When you expand the information for a particular route that you've selected, you will see the "Transfer Time" shown as you have alread discovered. In the example that you provided, you will have to get off your train, and you will have 19 minutes to get to the platform for your next train.

You can check how far apart the platforms are by looking at the column labeled "Platform." You will see which platform the train you're on arrived at, and which platform your next train departs from.

If you arrive at Platform 3 and your next train departs from Platform 4, 19 minutes will be more than enough time for you. However, if you arrive at Platform 3 and your departing train leaves from Platform 18, you have some walking to do and should be able to make the connection. Be wary of short transfer times (5-7 minutes) and long distances between platforms, as that can have you running throught he station.

And if your incoming train is running late, then that will reduce your transfer time.

If you look in the column with the comments, you'll see a link where you can manually adjust the transfer time if you're uncomfortable with what the website automatically generates for connecting trains.

I hope that helps explain the concept of train changes and transfer times.

Boppard, Germany
Destination Expert
for Boppard
Level Contributor
1,982 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: DB Bahn, Help w Buying tickets & Dresdin to Prague trip

You should check what it says on your ticket. Reduced fares are often valid for one particular train/connection only. If you miss that train you have to buy a new ticket unless Deutsche Bahn is to blame (e.g. a connecting train is late)

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
29,456 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: DB Bahn, Help w Buying tickets & Dresdin to Prague trip

If you buy the regular fare it is totally flexible and you can use any train you like on the route, but of course it is much easier to get the direct train! If you buy the €66,20 ticket from Berlin to Dresden you can get on and off as many times as you want between Berlin and Dresden within the space of a month. These tickets are unlimited in number and can be bought on the day of travel.

If you buy a discounted ticket you can only use the train for which you bought the ticket for, so if you know when you want to travel and have no intention getting off at the places in between then use this ticket. As the trains are direct, the issue of transfer times should not arise, but in general 19 minutes is a huge amount of time. These tickets are limited in number per train and go on sale 92 days before travel.

You can reserve a seat when you book the ticket, but I have never reserved and have always got a seat - it would be very unusual if the train was totally full.

Chula Vista...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: DB Bahn, Help w Buying tickets & Dresdin to Prague trip

Here's a guide to using the German rail system that's pretty good and you may want to read:

gettingaroundgermany.info/bahn.shtml#station

Pay particular attention to the part about boarding the right coach because sometimes they will actually split a train in half when it arrives in a station. One part will go to one destination, and the other part will go to a second destination.

If you've selected a seat on the wrong section, you could be in for an unexpected surprise.

Each coach will have a sign on the outside telling you what Class the coach is (1st or 2nd), and where that specific coach is headed. Also, on the station platform, there's a sign board that will show by specific train number how many coaches are in that train and which coach is going to which destination. (The article has photos of each.)

It's not hard to figure out, but if you don't know about it... Again, surprise!

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,861 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: DB Bahn, Help w Buying tickets & Dresdin to Prague trip

>Also will I have to use the U/Bahn to get to the train station or is it close the Circus Hotel? I am also coming in on a train from Amsterdam.<

You'll arrive at the Hauptbahnhof. From there, take the S-bahn three stops to Alexanderplatz, and change there for the U-bahn (line U8, direction Wittenau) to Rosenthaler Platz. The Circus is at Rosenthaler Platz: you'll see it as soon as you exit the U-bahn.

Three S-bahn lines run from Hauptbahnhof. You can take any of them to Alexanderplatz, but you need to go in the right direction: eastwards, towards Ostkreuz.

Edited: 21 January 2013, 09:58