We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tegel vs Schoenefeld

HK
14 posts
Save Topic
Tegel vs Schoenefeld

Hi

I will fly to Berlin from Copenhagen and have to choose between "easyjet -> Schoenefeld" and "air berlin -> Tegel", both are early morning flights. If cost is not a big concern, which one is better and more convenient (by train or bus) if I will go to Adina Hackescher Markt directly from the airport?

Many thanks.

Edited: 23 January 2013, 06:10
London, United...
Level Contributor
17,479 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tegel vs Schoenefeld

The Adina is well located for either. It's steps away from Karl Liebknecht Strasse, where the TXL bus from Tegel stops. The journey takes between 28 and 40 minutes depending on traffic:

http://www.bvg.de/index.php/en/17131/name/JetExpressBus+TXL.html

From Schönefeld, the Adina is a 5-minute walk from Alexanderplatz, to where the Airport Express from Schönefeld will take you in 23 minutes.

berlin-airport.de/EN/ReisendeUndBesucher/AnU…

At Schönefeld you've got a 10-12 minute walk from the terminal to the train platform, and the express trains run on a half-hourly schedule. At Tegel the TXL bus runs every 10 minutes - and there are other bus options.

I've always flown with Easyjet to Schönefeld and am used to its inconveniences, and I've no experience with Tegel, but the edge is definitely with Tegel, and I think most people would recommend Tegel.

Edited: 23 January 2013, 07:57
Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,851 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tegel vs Schoenefeld

Both airport are well connected to the city center - Tegel is closer but is only conencted by a very frequent bus running through the entore central area of the city, Schönefeld is further out but has a faster train connection. So take whatever is cheaper or more convenient by timing.

Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,011 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tegel vs Schoenefeld

The only (small and insignificant) concern is that the train from Schönefeld to Alexanderplatz will cost you 3,10€ for a single ticket, whilst the bus from Tegel costs 2,40€. Also, the buses from Tegel run every few minutes from directly outside the terminal building whereas the trains from Schönefeld only run once every 30 minutes from a station around 7-8 minute walk from the terminal.

If there is no significant price difference in the flights offered by Air Berlin and easyJet, I would pick Tegel over Schönefeld for personal sentimental reasons.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
19,830 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tegel vs Schoenefeld

If you end up getting a taxi then Tegel wins hands down as the taxi costs about half of what a taxi from SXF costs, 20€ rather than 40€.

I find the TXL bus a less than ideal way to travel as it is a bus that stops for local passengers, it's not a dedicated bus for those going to/from the airport. So if you have lots of kids going to school, local shoppers etc it will stop at every stop and seems to take forever!.

Re choosing between the airlines: flying Airberlin you get a 23kg checked-in luggage allowance and you can carry a handbag(US purse) and a computer bag in addition to your hand-luggage trolley/bag. Easyjet's hand luggage allowance is more generous with weight than Airberlin's but computer and handbag have to fit inside (and they do enforce that!!). Airberlin also offers a drink and snack for free nornally it's a sandwich but the distance bewteen Copenhagen and berlin is such that I seem to remember something smaller than a sandwich (peanuts?) the one time I did it.

Landing in TXL involves lesswalking than in SXF, both to baggage reclaim/exit as well as to bus/train

Try and get a window seat, the views over the Baltic, both Danish islands and Rügen are impressive.

Edited: 23 January 2013, 10:32
5. Re: Tegel vs Schoenefeld

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 23 January 2013, 10:48
Edited: 23 January 2013, 10:48
London, United...
Level Contributor
17,479 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tegel vs Schoenefeld

I want to emphasise that the trek from the terminal at Schönefeld to the train station, and above all the lack of a lift or escalator to the platform, is a significant, not a negligible, factor when considering journey time and convenience. All other things being equal, it would be the deciding factor for me. Having done it so many times, I can tell DFSquare that it's time-consuming (10-12 minutes) and the trek up the stairs or the uphill walkway is challenging, even with a light wheeled suitcase unless one is both young and fit.

And, as Lynda rightly says, the walk at Schönefeld from the aircraft stand to baggage reclaim and exit, is longer (it's tediously long, and also involves stair-climbing).

So why do I use Schönefeld? Because I have an easy 1-hour journey from my home to Gatwick, where Easyjet fly from. Getting to Heathrow takes twice as long, and is extremely cumbersome, involving a train change, a change from train to underground, and a long underground journey. And I hate Heathrow, an even more chaotic, crowded airport than Gatwick (which has improved considerably lately). So I fly Easyjet to Schönefeld. But if I had the choice, if I could fly from Gatwick to Tegel, I'd choose Tegel, probably even if the fare was higher. And since DF Square does have the choice, I think Tegel is the better option.

Edited: today, 10:47

Edited: 23 January 2013, 10:54
Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
4,410 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tegel vs Schoenefeld

I agree with alabastron. If I'd have to choose, I'd take Tegel over Schönefeld.

But if there was a better price or connection to Schönefeld, I'd rather take that.

While I agree that the TXL bus is not as good as a train service regarding space, I have to say that this is not a bus route typically taken by school children or commuters. It is of course used by locals as well, but the main purpose of this bus is to transport passengers to the airport and many people on this bus will be on their way from/to the airport.

If it's too crowded you can always get off at any S-Bahn station, there are quite some on the way, but I doubt that this is more convenient.

Edited: 23 January 2013, 12:32
London, United...
Level Contributor
17,479 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tegel vs Schoenefeld

One of these days, I may brave Heathrow and try Tegel. I'm tired of Schönefeld: the long, grim walks through grey corridors, the stairs, the trek to the train station. And lately it irks me that with all the improvements they could make, and should make, to make things a little more comfortable for travellers, is - wait for it - the bright new, improved, well-stocked DUTY FREE SHOP.

I can't wait for Berlin-Brandenburg to open, but I'm not holding my breath.

Edited: 23 January 2013, 13:03
Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,011 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tegel vs Schoenefeld

I personally will be sorry to see Tegel close in favour of Berlin-Brandenburg. Tegel is such a convenient airport. Immigration control at the end of the jetty. Baggage reclamation directly at the gate. Taxi rank within touching distance of your gate (though I never take a taxi). Frequent buses to western and eastern nuclei of the city from directly outside the terminal. Arrival to bus in fifteen minutes.

I agree that LHR can be a nightmare. I often look at Heathrow and compare it to Amsterdam Schiphol, an airport of similar high volume passenger movements, and just cannot comprehend how AMS can run so smoothly and LHR so chaotically.

The one time I used Schönefeld, I found it to be better than I had expected it to be. Airside facilities are were enough for me to feel comfortable before my return flight to Bristol. The walk from terminal to railway station was not as arduous as I had believed it would be, though it is not exactly favourable to have to walk down under the road to the station and then up a flight of stairs to the platform. I was lucky that there was an S-Bahn train about to leave (I was heading to Südkreuz on the S46). I do think the half-hourly Airport Express service is too infrequent. Every fifteen or twenty minutes seems a more appropriate interval. I was not so lucky with my trip to Vienna where the S-Bahn from Wien-Schwechat to Wien-Mitte also runs half-hourly. I just missed the train and had to hang about in the station for thirty minutes, so I can appreciate the nuisance at SXF.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
19,830 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tegel vs Schoenefeld

I've been on TXL bus with schoolchildren getting in and off in Moabit area, obviously that depends on time of day but landing fairly early as we are told the OP is it could apply. And I have got on and off the TXL in Unter den Linden area where it shares route with the 100.

I once got myself to Hauptbahnhof to get the TXL to the airport mid-afternoon and it was packed, not just with air passengers and I had to stand with luggage as we went very slowly (passengers on and off at every stop). From that point on I changed my route to Tegel, when I go there (like Alabastron I mainly fly Easyjet): now I go to Gesundbrunnen, take S-Bahn Ring to Beusselstrasse and then the TXL for the last few stops. This journey Involves two changes (stations with lifts) but is a lot less frustrating and is quicker.

Oh yes, that duty-free shop at SXF which has meant a longer walk for passengers to get to the waiting area (cramped waiting area as you don't know what gate Easyjet is leaving from until the gate actually opens). Airberlin departures in Tegel aren't blessed with fabulous facilities either but you can avoid going in the shops if you want to, do know your gate and can normally get a seat.

Ironically Barcelona where I fly from has a lovely fairly modern terminal (oldest bits just over 20 years old) "going spare" pretty well if only it could be magicked over! Now there the shopping opportunities if you fly Easyjet are only for food and drink, unless you want to walk a long way to the newsagents/souvenir shop and back..

Edited: 23 January 2013, 14:26