We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

iPhone App for transport

Fairbanks, Alaska
Level Contributor
251 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
iPhone App for transport

Hi

Does anyone know of a good iPhone app for Berlin underground/trams? I've downloaded a couple but they fail to give direction of travel. "take s8 and change at X". Just about useless as it means I have to study the maps posted on the walls to try and figure out which direction to head. Also it needs to work offline.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-annebell

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
4,258 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: iPhone App for transport

Fahrinfo Berlin is a good app that I've used in the past. I think it gives you the dicrection of the train.

It also includes a map of the transport system.

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,795 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: iPhone App for transport

Such apps cannot work offline - if you would have to download the schedules of ALL trains, subways, trams and buses and ferries, plus a map of the city for walking, you will overload your phone. Get a cheap SIM card with data connection.

Fairbanks, Alaska
Level Contributor
251 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: iPhone App for transport

Thanks so much, I'll checkout Fahrinfo Berlin.

My Paris and London metro apps work offline just fine.

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,795 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: iPhone App for transport

Metro alone is a small part of the integrated system and makes little sense without bus and tram schedules. It is different in Paris and London where integration of the transport modes is less close.

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,178 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: iPhone App for transport

Altamiro is probably right that the integrated Berlin transport network is too complex for a workable app, and that a metro app alone would be of limited use. But if you have an iPhone, you can access the BVG Journey Planner wherever there is WiFi. I use it each morning in my Berlin accommodation to plan my day's journeys, and carry a map with me for when I need to check or change plans.

The BVG planner does indicate the directions of the lines, but it's really not a hassle to consult your own map, which will be available, free, at the BVG stand at the airport when you arrive. There are also maps on line that you can study and print out before you go.

All information here: Journey Planner, maps, tickets and timetable information.

http://www.bvg.de/index.php/en/index.html

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
4,258 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: iPhone App for transport

Oh sorry, I skipped the part that it has to be offline.

Fahrinfo Berlin needs an internet connection, but so does any other application or website that gives you travel information.

With the Fahrinfo Berlin app you can dowload all maps in advance, when connected to the internet, and access them at anytime. And you wouldn't have to struggle with a paper map.

If you want detailed information, go to a McDonalds/Starbucks store for free wifi and do it there.

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,178 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: iPhone App for transport

I don't find a paper map a struggle. I do find using a map on a tiny iPod or iPhone screen a struggle - and an iPad is too big and heavy to carry around.

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
4,258 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: iPhone App for transport

That was actually a suggestion for OP.

I think it's a matter of option whether you like a paper map or an iPhone map more. I, for my part, have no problem with swiping through the map on my phone, works quite well.

And, to avoid any confusion, Berlin Fahrinfo covers all means of public transport in Berlin, including Buses, Trams, S-Bahn Trains, Regional trains and U-Bahn (subway). There is no trouble and it's not too complex for an app.

But in order to access information for a transit connection you need an internet connection at that moment, but so do you when you want to access the BVG homepage. I don't think there is an app that has all schedules available in offline-mode.

Edited: 29 January 2013, 14:09
Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
17,597 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: iPhone App for transport

I have Berlin Fahrinfo as above, but also Berlin City, which is a free-of-charge U-Bahn and S-Bahn map from the VBB, and Fahrplan, a quite wonderful app on which you can look up the up-to-the minute timetable of arrivals and departures of any train station, bus or tram stop (reports in English!) in all of Germany. It even reports late arrivals. I think Berlin City might at least deliver its map offline, but the others seem to need a wireless connection. In addition I have myTaxi, which allows you to book or summon taxis and provides a fare calculation.

10. Re: iPhone App for transport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 January 2014, 07:15