We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good bars Zoologischer Garten / Ku'damm area

Liverpool
Level Contributor
133 posts
Save Topic
Good bars Zoologischer Garten / Ku'damm area

Hi,

Just wondered if you could recommend any good bars in the above area?

Just somewhere that might feel traditional german or sell stein's etc.

Not looking for anything mad, just didn't want to miss out on something nearby our hotel if we didn't know where to look.

Thanks.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
6,216 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good bars Zoologischer Garten / Ku'damm area

I really don't think there are any. This area is very commercial and there aren't many bars, let alone "German" ones.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Munich, Amsterdam, The Ardennes
Level Contributor
7,962 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good bars Zoologischer Garten / Ku'damm area

In that area you are more likely to find places like Hard Rock Cafe and McDonalds.

It's not a good area to stay in and it will give you the wrong idea of Berlin.

Mentioned in this post
Hard Rock Cafe Berlin
Hard Rock Cafe Berlin
2,669 Reviews
Berlin, Germany
Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
8,070 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good bars Zoologischer Garten / Ku'damm area

Actually I like the area and have stayed around there for the last 8 years, some 3-5 times a year. I think there is a more trad. German bar/pub in the Europa center. Use entrance by Palace hotel and bar is on the left

If you walk off of the main roads then there are plenty of locals living there with bars catering to them. They may be called Kneipe rather than bar

London, United...
Level Contributor
19,056 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Good bars Zoologischer Garten / Ku'damm area

I've got to agree with Darren, and with Grolland who says it's not really a good area to stay in. The area around Zoo is not only commercial, but seedy - I avoid it as much as possible, and hurry through it and away when I can't avoid it. I'm sure the parts bongoblog talks of are nicer when you get to know the area, but that may not be easy on a first visit.

You're much more likely to find the kind of place you're looking for in residential neighbourhoods in, for example, Prenzlauerberg, and in Mitte.

Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
8,070 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Good bars Zoologischer Garten / Ku'damm area

I would not call the area seedy. The only bit that I would call seedy is by the bridge at Bahnhof Zoo, I def. would not want to stay at the Motel One there! Though I think things have improved ,have a look at the movie Christiane F. for how it was!

A few hundred yds. east between Budapesterstrasse and the KeDeWe it is quite leafy and green with quite a selection of upmarket antique shops

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
1,705 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Good bars Zoologischer Garten / Ku'damm area

I’ve to disagree with Zoologischer GArten/Ku’Damm area being not a good area.

As mentioned by bongoblog the area under the bridge by the train station is a bit seedy. I used to live not too far away for quite some time and experienced the train station at every time of the day and never felt really unsafe.

The Ku’Damm itself has not that many bars/restaurant on offer, it’s mainly shops. But around Wittenbergplatz you will find some bars/restaurants and also the further down you go down the Ku’Damm the more bars/restaurants you will find.

If you don’t mind jumping on the S-bahn or bus for a couple of stops you will find heaps of bars/restaurants around Savignyplatz or Winterfeldplatz/Goltstr.

Finding something traditional German might be not that easy to find, whatever area you are staying in. It’s the same with finding a proper English pub in London for example. Many of them – at least in central London – are often chains and sometimes feel more like bars. ;-)

I quite like the following bars/restaurants

Noahs Wittenbergplatz

Schwarze Café, Kantstr. (around the corner from Savignyplatz)

You also might like Zwiebelfisch at Savignyplatz or Dicke Wirtin at Carmerstr. 9, also around the corner of Savignyplatz. Both are old Berliner Kneipen (kind of a pub).

Mentioned in this post
Dicke Wirtin
Dicke Wirtin
2,281 Reviews
Berlin, Germany
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
108 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Good bars Zoologischer Garten / Ku'damm area

The irish pub in the europa centre has live bands every night and all the football

Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Good bars Zoologischer Garten / Ku'damm area

I have to agree with BerlinGal. City west is not a bad place to be at all. There are some very nice bars/cafes and restaurants around. And you should check out Savigny Platz and surroundings. Scwarze Cafe is a good suggestion.Two of the best jazz clubs in Berlin are located in this part of town: A trane and Quasimodo

9. Re: Good bars Zoologischer Garten / Ku'damm area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 March 2014, 06:19