We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snow boots?

Australia
Level Contributor
200 posts
196 reviews
Save Topic
Snow boots?

After a recent slippery trip to Iceland where snow boots would have been awesome to have for the black ice, can anyone suggest whether I should bring my snow boots for this weekend (Easter)?

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,867 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snow boots?

I don't think that's necessary. No boots, not even snow boots, will stop you slipping on black ice. Only spikes will dig in sufficiently to keep you upright (and you can buy sets of them that fit around your shoes if you're really worried: the only problem is that they work only on ice, not on mixed ice/pavement surfaces (they'll be ruined by pavement).

amazon.co.uk/Runner-Superior-Quality-Gripper…

I'd just hope that there isn't any black ice while you're there, and if there is, wait until the gritters have come around before venturing out.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snow boots?

Still some ice, from last weeks snow but going fast....

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
1,695 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snow boots?

The winter doesn't really want to leave this year. Anyway, as the temperatures climbs above zero during the day most of the time the snow slowly starts to melt. Most of the pavements, at least in the bigger streets, are almost free of snow and ice. It's not completely gone though. If the pavements are not cleared you can expect a bit of ice here and there due to the snow melting during the day and having temperatures below zero at nights.

Snow boots might not help you with the ice but if they keep your feet warm than you could take them with you. Temperature is supposed to stay around zero degrees over Easter

4. Re: Snow boots?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 28 March 2013, 14:37
Edited: 28 March 2013, 14:37
London, United...
Level Contributor
17,867 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Snow boots?

Snow isn't always the problem: sometimes rain is. Black ice forms when the temperatures hover around zero: a little above during the day, and a little below overnight. If rain has fallen during the night and frozen, you'll get black ice in the morning. Just be aware of it and be careful, and stay put until the gritters have been, or it melts.

This may not happen very often, but it did to me, and I speak from painful experience: two broken ribs in January 2012. Who'd have thought it could still be an issue in April!!

Warm socks inside whatever shoes you wear (and again, thick soles and deep tread are what is needed) will keep you warm. I like Smartwool best; Thorlos and Bridgend are also good brands.

London, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Snow boots?

Thanks everyone for your replies - I am an Australian who moved to the UK and saw snow for the first time this year so this is all very new to me. Your replies have been very helpful.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,947 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Snow boots?

We will be there in January and are also from Australia, so don't have much practice with snow here!

I like the idea of waiting until the gritters have been before risking walking, but what time does that happen?

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,867 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Snow boots?

I suppose it depends on where you are: I would say usually by around 9-10, but a resident Berliner would be better able to answer that.

I want to make it clear that my caution applies only if there is early morning fresh black ice resulting from rain that has fallen and frozen overnight - and only from dire personal experience on it. On the morning of my tumble (flat on my back in a split second) other people were picking their way along and not falling, though I did hear the scream of ambulance sirens for much of the rest of the day).

You don't need to worry about snow as long as your shoes are up to it: thick soles for warmth, deep tread for protection against slithering. Good hiking shoes, in other words.

Edited: 29 March 2013, 08:06
Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
1,695 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Snow boots?

Hard to say really when the gritters come round. The should come round and clear the snow as early as possible. The one we pay to do it at our house (can't bother doing it early in the morning before work) comes usually around 8am, sometimes earlier. I work around the corner from the Ku'Damm and most areas are cleared when I arrive there around 8/8.30am.

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,867 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Snow boots?

So yes, it depends on the area. The Ku'Damm would be one of the first to be cleared early in the morning. I was trying to remember when I got out that eventful morning - I would say it was at about 9 - 9.30. Not earlier than 9. This was at Oranienburger Strasse S-bahn, and no gritters had been.