We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ballet opera and music may 31 to June 7?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
239 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Ballet opera and music may 31 to June 7?

Can you assist me with links to music events in Berlin on the above dates? We would especially like to go to events in beautiful settings. We are pretty open but prefer classical/traditional to contemporary music. If the welcome card can give a discount that would be great but if the event might be sold out I'd rather order tickets ahead

Thanks!

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,199 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ballet opera and music may 31 to June 7?

This link should be a help in the first instance:

classictic.com/en/special/berlin-concerts/28/

Pretty well all the concerts and operas in Berlin are in great settings: the Philharmonie, the Berliner Dom, the Konzerthaus in Gendarmenmarkt; the Staatsoper in the Schiller Theater (lovely traditional theatre and the Deutsche Oper (60s modern). You can go to their websites and see their schedules (Classictic has most but not all of this information).

The Welcome Card gives 25% discount on all of these, and can save you a great deal of money. Of course you'll want to order tickets ahead to avoid disappointment (or less good seats) but you can still secure the discounts.

Don't order through Classictic or any other similar website: just use them for information about schedules. Order through the venue, by telephone if possible: they've all got websites with contact details. Tell them that you will have a Welcome Card: some will generously apply the discount then and there so that you can pay the discounted fee with your credit card. If there is time they will send the tickets; otherwise you can collect them at the box office half an hour before the performance.

If they won't apply the discount on the phone, arrange to collect the tickets at the box office. You won't have to pay on ordering, but you'll be asked to collect the tickets 24-48 hours before the performance. Show your Welcome Card (the booklet as well as the ticket) and the discount will be applied.

Note: if you're planning to go to an opera, you can see and hear perfectly from every seat in the Deutsche Oper, so there's no need to go for the most expensive tickets. The Schiller Theater is almost as good in that respect. In the Konzerthaus it's good to sit as near the front as possible: there's no rake, so at the back you (at least I) feel a little left out. The best place to sit in the Berliner Dom is in the middle - simply for the experience of being surrounded by this massive cathedral. If you go to the Phlharmonie, arrive early: the signposting isn't altogether unclear and you may need plenty of time to find your seats.

I hope this is some help.

Edited: 19 April 2013, 08:29
Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
19,593 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ballet opera and music may 31 to June 7?

Despite its less than inspiring exterior the Komische Oper is also beautiful inside, a traditional theatre/opera house with an attractive more modern foyer area.

The productions are very dynamic, with the theatre's own ensemble. Everything is sung in German but there are screens on the seat in front of you and options of text in German, English, French or Turkish

Prices are even lower than at Deutsche Oper and Staatsoper, i always sit upstairs (I am worried about someone tall blocking my view if i sit in the stalls) and I don't think i've ever paid more than 30€. They are doing Marriage of Figaro on 2nd June for which plenty of tickets are still available. Classical music but a modern production.

i look online (www.komische-oper-berlin.de) to see what seats are available and then phone the box office to book. I pick up the tickets on the day normally.

Edited: 19 April 2013, 11:35
London, United...
Level Contributor
17,199 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ballet opera and music may 31 to June 7?

>the signposting isn't altogether unclear <

Correction: the signposting isn't altogether CLEAR. (Fairly obvious, I guess.)

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
3,129 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ballet opera and music may 31 to June 7?

That is very interesting, thank you. We are coming for a midweek stay in November, I imagine not all programmes will be in place yet, but we are probably more interested in ballet than opera or classical music. Is there a venue worth my keeping an eye on? Thanks for your help.

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,199 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ballet opera and music may 31 to June 7?

The November schedule of the Staatsballet is out, and you can check it here:

staatsballett-berlin.de/en_en/about/history

I think you'll get the same information here:

staatsoper-berlin.de/en_EN/repertoire/ballet

And this may have something of interest for you:

http://www.visitberlin.de/en/category/1704

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
3,129 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ballet opera and music may 31 to June 7?

Thanks a lot Alabastaron!

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,199 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ballet opera and music may 31 to June 7?

You're very welcome.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
108 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ballet opera and music may 31 to June 7?

This is great info about how to get a discount with the Welcome Card ahead of time and not missing out on tickets. Thanks a lot!

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,199 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ballet opera and music may 31 to June 7?

You're welcome.

10. Re: Ballet opera and music may 31 to June 7?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 October 2014, 05:16