We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Berlin for Gay Pride 2013

Which Berlin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
london
Level Contributor
11 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Berlin for Gay Pride 2013

Hi,

Can anyone recommend a good area to stay in for Gay Pride? Would like to soak up the festivities, head out to some bars and restaurants at night and also do some of the tourisy stuff like museums and sightseeing. Am there for 4 days so any help is appreciated! Shld I look at Mitte or Schöneberg or shld I look at other areas too?

Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
7,237 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Berlin for Gay Pride 2013

It depends what events you plan to go to. Mitte is probably best but it may well be very expensive due to the festival. csd-berlin.de/events-2013/…

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
5,497 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Berlin for Gay Pride 2013

The Pride Festival lasts a full month but really culminates in late June with two key events - Strassenfest on Motzstrasse, the Saturday and Sunday before the Parade (15/16 June), and the Parade itself (22 June). If you want to be close to the action, the northern reaches of Schöneberg around Nollendorfplatz would make most sense. Ibis Hotels will shortly open a new Ibis & Ibis Budget at Wittenbergplatz, opposite KaDeWe, which would be pretty inexpensive and well-located for travel and nightlife.

However (there's always a however), the route of the Parade has not yet been announced, and last year it was changed from its near-tradtional route along the Ku'damm up to the Brandenburg Gate, to start in Kreuzberg and go past the Berlin House of Deputies and several embassies and Federal Government embassies, following calls to make the event more political - and the organisers are trying to bolster this for 2013. The only guarantee is that it will finish on Strasse des 17. Juni so be prepared to travel. The same applies to partying, as the main parties will be in Berghain and Propaganda, neither of which are central. There is always a separate women-only party.

The Parade is IMMENSE fun. Last year I marched in it with the Berlin Bruisers RFC. Walking groups do not have to register, but they just slot in behind floats, and unlike the previous year there were no barriers between the parade and the crowd on the streets - we picked up several people along the way!

No matter where you stay, you'll have a great time.

Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
7,237 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Berlin for Gay Pride 2013

Darren, I assumed Kylie would be wanting to hang out in some of the girly bars which seem to be more Mitte/Kreuzberg. The boys bars of Schoeneberg may be less appealing for her than us ;-)

london
Level Contributor
11 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Berlin for Gay Pride 2013

Actually....am a dude....pardon the female nick lol

london
Level Contributor
11 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Berlin for Gay Pride 2013

Thanks for the recommendations guys....does it make sense to stay in Mitte and travel out to the parade and gay clubs?

london
Level Contributor
11 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Berlin for Gay Pride 2013

Just that the major hotel chains which look decent seem to be in Mitte and not Schöneberg

Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
7,237 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Berlin for Gay Pride 2013

Depends what you want to do with your evenings, if the bars of schoeneberg call then I would stay around there(I normally do) Then late night it is a few mins walk to bed rather than a taxi/U-Bahn. In the daytime getting around is less of a hassle. Depending on budget there is plenty of choice from 2/3* Motel One to 5* Intercontinental. You can PM me if you want some ideas

london
Level Contributor
11 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Berlin for Gay Pride 2013

Thanks bongoblog. Left you a pm

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
5,497 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Berlin for Gay Pride 2013

Mitte covers a large area and the area around Nollendorfplatz and the bars is right on the border between Mitte, Schöneberg and Charlottenburg-Wilmersdorf. You won't go wrong in Mitte, but you may have to plan getting back to your hotel more carefully if you're doing the bars. Schöneberg stretches quite far south, and the real centre of the district is the area around Rathaus Schbg, which is why the hotels may not seem as appealing.

Feel free to PM.

Edited: 21 April 2013, 16:29
London, United...
Level Contributor
15,900 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Berlin for Gay Pride 2013

You did say that you also wanted to do some sightseeing, and Mitte will be best for that. You might consider staying near Alexanderplatz, for an easy journey to Nollendorf Platz on the U2 and for its excellent transport connections to everywhere else; or near one of the stations north of Alex on the same line, Rosa-Luxemburg Platz, Senefelder Platz, or Eberswalder Strasse.

Or near Friedrichstrasse, with equally good transport connections: two stops on the S1 or S2 to Potsdamer Platz, and change to the U2 there.

Edited: 21 April 2013, 17:00