We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st time in Berlin -- seeking advice

Which Berlin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
2 posts
Save Topic
1st time in Berlin -- seeking advice

My husband and I plan to spend 5 days in Berlin in early June, debating where to stay, Mitte or Ku'damm? I like it to be easy to get to major tourist attractions by the public transportation, and nice to stroll around, with plenty of choices for restaurants, etc.. Also I would appreciate suggestions about what to do in general for newbies.

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
5,141 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st time in Berlin -- seeking advice

My personal choice would be Mitte, it's the historical center whereas the Ku'damm area used to be the center of West-Berlin.

Public transport is quite good, so it doesn't really matter if you stay in Mitte or Ku'damm.

Museumsinsel

Reichstag

Potsdamer Platz

Mauermuseum

Topographie des Terrors

Checkpoint Charly

Jüdisches Museum

Edited: 24 April 2013, 19:08
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
5,557 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st time in Berlin -- seeking advice

Another vote for Mitte, especially the area around Hackescher Markt or Kastanienallee. Lots of good shops, bars, and restaurants, and walking distance to several key sightseeing areas. Also good transport links.

Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
7,300 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st time in Berlin -- seeking advice

I prefer Ku'damm as I find it a bit less touristy. The hotels are also a bit cheaper there so a 5* costs about the same as a4* in Mitte. Transport is pretty easy between the two, be it subway,bus or a €10 cab. I have also walked it many times down the lovely Tiergartenstrasse, trees one side and embassies the other, dating from 1930's to 2010.

London, United...
Level Contributor
16,242 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st time in Berlin -- seeking advice

For a short stay, I would want to stay close to most of the things I wanted to see and do - and that means Mitte, where most of the main museums and tourist attractions are. Yes, the public transport system is excellent, but you won't want to spend any more time than necessary underground, travelling from place to place (or even overground, though at least you'd have views from the S-bahn, trams, and buses). Consider the Hackescher Markt/Rosenthaler Platz area, or Friedrichstrasse, where you'll be able to walk to the Museum Island and many other of your destinations.

The area around the Kurfurstendamm IS less touristy (though not the Kurfurstendamm itself, which is a tourists' shopping mecca) but you're going to be a tourist, so why should you mind other tourists? Tourists stay in the historic centre for very good reasons. If you return to Berlin time and time again as I (and my fellow DEs Darren and Lynda) do you might want to branch out, but for a first, short visit I think Mitte is the place.

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,436 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st time in Berlin -- seeking advice

We rented an apartment near Rosenthaler Platz - tram/train stop was a 3min walk away and connections to wherever we wanted to go were easy.

We did a walking tour our first day which we found a fantastic way to orientate ourselves with the city and get some background info.

Iowaman1959
Level Contributor
1 post
94 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1st time in Berlin -- seeking advice

I would agree on the area near Rosenthaler Platz. We also rented an apartment there across from Zionskirche and found the neighborhood to be great. Lots of restaurants and shops and easy access to the museums ane the rest of Mitte.

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
70 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1st time in Berlin -- seeking advice

Please, could you name the rental agency ?

We are a family of 6 visiting Berlin for five days in July

London, United...
Level Contributor
16,242 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1st time in Berlin -- seeking advice

There are many rental agencies. Airbnb seems to be reliable and well liked and has lots of properties in Berlin; and I usually recommend Urban Apartments Berlin who have good apartments in all the central areas.

Turku, Finland
Level Contributor
47 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1st time in Berlin -- seeking advice

If you are interested in history, spend a day in Potsdamm to see the palace and surroundings. Enjoy a lunch or a cup of coffee in the historical Hotel Adlon by Unter den Linden.

hockley essex
Level Contributor
124 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 1st time in Berlin -- seeking advice

Flying to Berlin at the beginning of December with Easijet for Christmas markets for 3 nights.There are several couples and our first time in Berlin. Can anyone suggest any reasonable hotels where there wouldn't be any great difficulty reaching after an evening flight?