We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

iphone/ipad usage and charging

dv66051
Level Contributor
158 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
iphone/ipad usage and charging

Any input on iphone and ipad usage in Berlin? Do we need to do anything special when we get there (i.e international plan, roaming, etc)?

Also, do the standard chargers work?

Thanks!

Gambrills, MD
Destination Expert
for Fussen
Level Contributor
3,150 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: iphone/ipad usage and charging

If you're in the US you definitely should get some kind of international plan to use your I-phone overseas, and you need to arrange it with your current provider before you travel. Otherwise you'll get a shock when the bill comes! It will cost much less if you can get an "unlocked" phone (meaning it would work on another provider's SIM card) and then just get a German SIM card. I don't know if your provider will unlock an I-phone or not, though. I bought an unlocked smart phone (not i-phone) off Ebay and use it for travel.

Standard chargers will work, but you will need a plug adapter since the plugs that go into the electrical outlets are shaped differently than the ones in the US.

Leipzig, Germany
Level Contributor
72 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: iphone/ipad usage and charging

Since the iPhone uses a USB-plug, that will work. But just as mentioned above, you'll have to get an adapter from the US-socket to german socket. YOu can usually get them overpriced at most hostels or much cheaper on ebay or amazon. You might want to get a multi socket adapter if you're ever going to the UK.

Some providers give you a special plan for internet usage abroad, but I also agree with emilysmom2003 in that it's usually cheaper to get a german SIM card. If it's just for a few days though, get an international plan from your provider. It's much easier.

Grimsby, England...
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: iphone/ipad usage and charging

I noticed some D Bahn trains had charging sockets.

4. Re: iphone/ipad usage and charging

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 May 2014, 07:19