We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay and how to txfr from airport

Cowbridge, United...
7 posts
Save Topic
Where to stay and how to txfr from airport

Hi

I am thinking of visiting Berlin in july for a few days. Not having visted before I have no idea where the best place to stay. I have seen a rather nice hotel in an Tiergarten but have no idea where this is in relation to the main historical attractions or whether there are train or underground stations nearby.

can anyone advise whether a hotel in this location would be a good base to explore Berlin and crucially also what is the best way to travel from the airport into the city.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
5,738 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay and how to txfr from airport

Where in Tiergarten? It's a massive park, and also the name of a district which is fairly sizeable. If you give the name and address of the hotel we can help.

As for getting into the city, it depends on which airport. There are two, one has a bus service and the other has trains.

Cowbridge, United...
7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay and how to txfr from airport

Hi thanks fir getting back to me

the hotel I fancied is called Das Stue and we would be flying into Schonefeld.

Appreciate any advice

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
43 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay and how to txfr from airport

I usually take the bus to a Ubahn or Sbahn (train station) when I go to Berlin. Kreuzberg is a nice area and has a lot going on. Have a good trip.

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
17,433 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay and how to txfr from airport

The hotel is on Drakestrasse near Bahnhof Zoo but not walkable. From Schönefeld, take the Airport Express train, get off at Zoo and take a cab.

Cowbridge, United...
7 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay and how to txfr from airport

Sounds as though it may be further away from the main attractiions than I anticipated. May have to re-think my hotel location.

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
9,624 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay and how to txfr from airport

Berlin is large, the "main attractions" are spread over a wide area. It is impossible to be near everything. You need public transport anyway. So the hotel location does not matter that much. You are right between Zoo and Tiergarten/Straße des 17. Juni, both of which I would count among the major attractions.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
5,738 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay and how to txfr from airport

Whilst the hotel looks fab, it's really a bit inaccessible for a short break (it took me ages to find on a map). It's not close to any bus stops or U/S-Bahn stations... I really would re-think it.

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
32 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay and how to txfr from airport

Seems we'd be wise to reconsider. Any recommendations anyone . We want to do all the usual tourist spots.

Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
7,477 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay and how to txfr from airport

I had a guided tour of the hotel last week, it is very nice. The website does not do it justice. The location is a bit cut off but then the bar has a view off the ostrichs in the zoo! A 5 mins walk will take you to the bus stops on Tiergartenstrasse. From there it is a few mins to Potsdamerplatz and the Brandenberg Gate. You can also walk it in 10/15 mins, park on one side embassies the other. Zoo station is about 12 mins walk the other way. Taxis are are also plentifull and pretty cheap.

Otherwise have a look at the Hotel de Rome, it is a similar style but just off Unter den Linden. The only issue is that it is currently surrounded by a building site and cranes.

10. Re: Where to stay and how to txfr from airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 June 2014, 06:18