We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Concentration camps: from Berlin or Prague?

Which Berlin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Miami Beach, Florida
3 posts
Save Topic
Concentration camps: from Berlin or Prague?

Will be visiting both Berlin & Prague. Which concentration camp will make a better, more authentic visit? from BErlin: Sachsenhausen-- or from Prague, Terezin?

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
5,550 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Concentration camps: from Berlin or Prague?

What do you mean by "authentic"?

Having been to Sachsenhausen, it's pretty sparse and windswept. A lot of the camp was levelled after the war, though some original barracks exist and some camp facilities have been reconstructed (the kitchen, for example). There are some memorials here and there. I found it very moving.

Banbury, UK
Level Contributor
212 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Concentration camps: from Berlin or Prague?

Hi, having been to both more than once, Sachsenhausen is the better place to visit. Terezin was used as a transit camp, before the victims were sent to extermination camps. The Nazis used it as a show camp but it was only to hide what was going on. Terezin is now just a normal town where you can visit different building. I have paste links below

members.virtualtourist.com/m/64674/75f5/

members.virtualtourist.com/m/64674/61086/

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,709 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Concentration camps: from Berlin or Prague?

I have to echo Darren - what is "authentic" supposed to mean - we are talking about places where people were worked to death, killed in various brutal ways, or were kept penned up so they could be shipped elsewhere to be killed at low cost. These requests for concentration camp visits like they are another church or museum or a nice viewpoint give me a creepy feeling. They are very educational about the brutality man can visit on fellow man, but not "tourist attractions"...

4. Re: Concentration camps: from Berlin or Prague?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 June 2014, 06:18