We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where in Mitte?

KCH
Sydney
Level Contributor
908 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Where in Mitte?

Hi everyone,

This is probably over-planning ....

After reading many posts, the general opinion seems to be Mitte is the place to stay. Are there particular parts of Mitte that are better?

Spittelmarkt

The general area just across the river to Friedrichstraße station

Near Alexanderplatz

Near Potsdamer Platz / Checkpoint Charlie

Or it's difference between six and half-dozen?

I know I will definitely see the usual sights - Brandenburger Tor, Museum island, Jewish museum etc.

Sorry if I'm being a bit pedantic. :)

Leipzig, Germany
Level Contributor
72 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Where in Mitte?

It doesn't exactly matter where in Mitte you stay, since you're probably going to take the tube anyways. So that in mind I'd propse you try to look for something close to Alexanderplatz, because the station there is a good place to start from.

However, if you want whatever it is that you want to see to be in walking distance, I'd propose to map it out with google.

Edited: 30 May 2013, 14:18
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
5,812 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where in Mitte?

Alexanderplatz is a bit soulless, busy, and often suffers construction. I personally like the area around Potsdamer Platz/Checkpoint Charlie and have often stayed in one of the Accor hotels on Anhalter Strasse (what Accor optimistically calls Potsdamer Platz). It's on two good bus routes and the north-south S-Bahn; close to Checkpoint Charlie and Potsdamer Platz.

However, you might want to consider the area around Hackescher Markt - it's close to Alexanderplatz and Museum Island and has lots of shops and restaurants.

KCH
Sydney
Level Contributor
908 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where in Mitte?

Thanks! Potsdamer Platz looks like a good area. :)

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,178 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where in Mitte?

Potsdamer Platz isn't a bad location, but I think Hackescher Markt is a better one: closer to many of the sights and museums, with a much wider choice of eating and drinking places nearby, and better transport connections: three S-bahn lines that bisect the city from east to west. I'd prefer the Friedrichstrasse area to Potsdamer Platz too, for the same reasons.

I'd forget Spittelmarkt, and also Alexanderplatz, which has big advantages transport wise, but is as Darren describes.

Edited: 31 May 2013, 17:36
Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
19,593 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where in Mitte?

Alexanderplatz is really not nice at the momento; in the evenings it's never been very inviting (Alexanderplatz is the subject of much discussion in Berlin at the moment) .

Potsdamer Platz área is convenient but has less atmosphere than Hackescher Markt as it is basically an area visited by tourists. I have also stayed in the Accor hotels on Anhalter Strasse and agree with Darren that it is a convenient location to sightsee from but not much of a neighbourhood feel there either. Spittelmarkt is an area that is also pretty quiet at night as it is mainly offices around there.

So my personal choice wd also be Hackescher Markt or Friedrichstrasse near the river

incdentally I read an interesting thread about Potsdamer Platz as a place to live on toytowngermany.com this morning.

Edited: 31 May 2013, 19:06
KCH
Sydney
Level Contributor
908 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where in Mitte?

I will focus my search to Potsdamer Platz, Hackescher Markt and Friedrichstrasse near the river then. If I can't find budget accommodation in the area I will consider Alexanderplatz.

The Best Western Hotel Berlin-Mitte across the river looks OK. Hackescher Markt is not that far away from Alexanderplatz?

I had a look at these areas on Google Street view. I might admit they all look very similar which seems to be early Sunday morning? :)

And there seems to construction everywhere!!

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
5,812 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where in Mitte?

Hackescher Markt is at most a 10-minute stroll from Alexanderplatz, or a very short tram ride (2 stops). And yes, there's construction pretty much everywhere...

KCH
Sydney
Level Contributor
908 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where in Mitte?

Thanks darren....

Berlin is frightfully expensive. Hard to find anything under 100 EUR a night in September.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
5,812 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where in Mitte?

What category of hotel are you looking at? I've been to Berlin in September and have never paid more than €100 per night - but then if I'm staying in a hotel in Berlin I just want a bed and a shower.

west midlands uk
Level Contributor
154 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where in Mitte?

I've not been to Berlin yet but I am going with a friend In July and we didnt want to spend loads but needed an apartment and we decided to book one at Alexanderplatz as we find one we really liked there. We have paid £480 in total for a 2 bedroom apartment between us which we thought was really good value for 6 nights.

I remember seeing hotels for a lot less than €100 a night (saw some for €50-60 a night) those were nice looking hotels.

I'm not worried about Alexanderplatz being a bit soul less as such as we will use the apartment as a base to explore parts of Berlin and can walk or get the tram/train easily to get to the bars at night if needed and we are near to shops and the trains/trams.

I have liked the look of Hackescher market - sounds good for evening drinks.