We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Rental for 1 month in Germany

Which Berlin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Wilmington, Delaware
2 posts
Save Topic
Car Rental for 1 month in Germany

Hello,

I am planning flying into Berlin's TEGEL airport (TXL) on August 16 and departing the same on September 13. I will be renting a car for the duration. This car can be either Compact or Intermediate but it must be AUTOMATIC. So far here are the quotes I have.

Compact Mercedes Benz $963.61 USD from Budget without code

Intermediate Citroen $1085.90 USD from National using code 5007384

Can these prices be beat?

THANK YOU

Chula Vista...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Rental for 1 month in Germany

Hi,

For a month, I find those prices to be quite reasonable. I've paid that for about 10 days of rental on two previous trips, but I do buy the added insurance.

Speaking of insurance, if you plan to be covered under your credit card, check with the rental agencies to make sure they'll accept that coverage in Germany. Some won't.

Also, if you do a search of car rental in this forum, you'll find lots of folks who have had terrible experiences with a company called Terstappen-Thrifty. Steer clear of them.

As this is your first post, you don't say where you'll be going with the car, but cars in large cities like Berlin are an expensive hindrance rather than a help. So if you're going to be touring from Berlin to other large cities, a public transit works best. But if you're going to be touring from village to village in the German countryside, then a car will give you much more freedom.

Also, if you plan on leaving Germany with your car, confirm first that you're allowed to take it into the other countries that you plan on visiting. Many rental agencies won't let their cars into Eastern European countries, including the Czech Republic, or even Italy.

Finally, here's a good overview of driving in Germany:

www.gettingaroundgermany.info/auto.shtml

Enjoy your trip.

Zed

Edited: 01 June 2013, 23:14
Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
7,338 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Rental for 1 month in Germany

You might also check on Sixt and Hertz, have a look on flyertalk for any discount codes esp with Hertz., as already said if you plan on visiting anyformer eastern block countries or Italy then check on the restrictions with the company you rent from

Wilmington, Delaware
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Rental for 1 month in Germany

Thanks for the response. I am going to check on restrictions as I will be visiting family all over. I was hoping to get the pricing down alittle more, even though I am going with an automatic.

Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
7,338 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Rental for 1 month in Germany

Do check what insurance is included and what you need!

Chula Vista...
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Rental for 1 month in Germany

Hi Peter,

One other thought... While automatic transmission cars are available in Germany, they are, in my experience, quite rare. Every vehicle I've rented in my four trips there (plus 2 in France) was a manual transmission (I didn't specifically ask for an automatic).

So I would just confirm with your rental agency that they will guarantee the availability of an automatic for you, especially if you have limited or no experience driving a manual transmission car. They could have limited inventory that may not be available on your arrival.

Zed

Escondido...
Level Contributor
372 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car Rental for 1 month in Germany

Have you considered leasing a car? You get a brand new car and the insurance is covered. We have done this twice. Once with Renault and Peugeot. It worked well for us. Those prices seem cheap to me. I think our lease was 1700.00 for 17 days all taxes and insurance covered. We plan on doing it again in 2014. Let us know what you find and how much. We had a mini van and a small compact the other time. I got the information from a Rick Steve's website.

7. Re: Car Rental for 1 month in Germany

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 06 June 2013, 04:35
Sydney, Australia
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Car Rental for 1 month in Germany

Buget price sounds good for Merc. The best deal I got was under $1000 per month on 3 months car-lease from Renault USA. Great is that car come with full insurance for 3 months, road assistance and I could drive it anywhere around Europe, including East Europe (No Russia or Turkey). Also car was superb, not bland rent-a-car junk, but sporty 17" wheels, panorama roof, smart card entry - I do recommend it Renault USA website. Also you can check Peugeot is even cheaper and Citroen, but I like how Renault drive. I drove Citroen DS4, that thing is like a boat, so much rocking in corners, not good.

I started blog about my tours http://www.wherehotelsare.com , but wrote about few superb European roads, when I have time I'll add more places where to enjoy curvy roads and scenery.

9. Re: Car Rental for 1 month in Germany

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 April 2015, 05:15