We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bruges to Berlin to Prague

Cheltenham, United...
Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Bruges to Berlin to Prague

I want to see these three fascinating cities next year (probably April/May time), and I just thought I would throw it out there despite knowing generally what I will be doing, for some advice/steerage, mainly involving timings/travel.

I plan to leave the UK on the Eurostar for Brussels (I understand that you can buy a ticket that includes travel to Bruges too but haven't worked out how to do this on the site).

I would spend three days/four nights in Bruges (probably Saturday to Tuesday, checking out Wednesday).

I would then get back to Brussels and board a train/trains to Berlin. I have found a good site www.loco2.com and found that if I book a ticket at the right time (3 months less one day) before travel I can get it for around €40, which sounds good to me.

Once in Berlin, I would spend 5 full days/6 nights there. Any recommendations for budget accommodation that's also pretty central to the main sights? I understand Berlin isn't quite as concentrated in that way like other cities, but somewhere reasonably convenient with minimal need for public transport would be ideal. I like walking through cities.

This covers Weds to Monday.

I check out on Tuesday and catch a train to Prague. I haven't, as yet, ascertained the fare for this, but obviously, I want a good deal. I wouldn't be looking at paying more than €50-60 (a one-way ticket).

Then four full days and five nights in Prague before catching a flight back to the UK. 12 full days, three spent moving (excluding flight back) and 15 nights.

Any tweaks anyone would make to this trip? I am debating swapping the 6 nights/5 nights Berlin/Prague around, or perhaps even doing only two full days/three nights in Bruges and having six full nights each in the latter two larger cities. Is this wise or do I have my timings about right?

I am interested in the historical sights, architecture, scenery (I will see most of this on the train as my bases are all urban - understood!), as well as good food and beer at good prices, a central location in each city so I can walk as much as possible. How expensive/inexpensive are the three cities for food/drink/transport within them etc?

Any advice/anecdotes/tweaks/thumbs up at my stickman itinerary would be gratefully received! :)

(It's possible I will have company - just one other person - but I will probably be travelling solo).

Mentioned in this post
April
April
218 Reviews
Berlin, Germany
Brussels
Brussels
Belgium
Bruges
Bruges
West Flanders Province, Belgium
Berlin
Berlin
Germany
Prague
Prague
Bohemia, Czech Republic
Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
8,120 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bruges to Berlin to Prague

For train tickets to/in/from Germany I would use the rail company's own site, http://www.bahn.de/i/view/GBR/en/index.shtml the cheap tickets go on sale 92 days in advance of travel. Be aware that they are for a specific train and cannot be changed,unless there are problems with the trains

Mentioned in this post
Germany
Germany
Europe
Cheltenham, United...
Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bruges to Berlin to Prague

That site is really helpful, thanks! I love the prospect of that scenic train journey from Berlin to Prague.

I will make a visit one day to Potsdam too (can a great deal of the important bits there be seen in a day trip?) I think six nights minimum will be needed for Berlin.

Mentioned in this post
Berlin
Berlin
Germany
Prague
Prague
Bohemia, Czech Republic
Potsdam
Potsdam
Brandenburg, Germany
Hamburg, Germany
Level Contributor
1,338 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bruges to Berlin to Prague

>> can a great deal of the important bits there be seen in a day trip?

IMO yes

4. Re: Bruges to Berlin to Prague

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 June 2014, 06:18