We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is this possible?

ny
Level Contributor
70 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Is this possible?

Me and my siblings total of 3 ( all are adults) will be travelling in september to germany, will be our second time, last visited bavaria area. We will have 3 weeks time in total. mostly focus in the north part and black forest esp heidelberg , berlin, potsdam ,schwerin , bremen.

wk 1: arrived in berlin, may stay for 1 day , then to Cologne--stay 1 week and will do outskirts trip : to bonn, muster, gotttingen.

wk2. back to berlin on 6th day , then one of siblings will join us, stay in berlin for 5-6 days , explore potsdam, berlin, hopefully to schwerin for castle and bremen, bremenhaven.

wk 3: heidelberg, triberg and gengenback , on 6th day, back to berlin and fly home.

All of us are interested in medival old towns, Cathedrals, Dom, reigsdat and senic train ride along rhine river ( hopefully from frankfurt to heidelberg).

WE are not quite into parks or zoo or shopping.

any suggestions to tune up this trip? we will get the german rail pass for 3 days major for berlin to heidleberg and cologne to berlin. Thanks in advance

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
4,258 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is this possible?

Why do you go Berlin --> Cologne --> Berlin --> Heidelberg --> Berlin

Can you try to switch the "middle Berlin" to the beginning or end of your trip? That might make things easier.

Also do you want to do all this cities you mentioned while in Cologne and Berlin as day trips? Because that's not really possible. Bremen is nowhere near Berlin, and Göttingen is also not close to Cologne. At least not in a day trip distance. Or do you plan on spending nights in the respective cities?

Also, my best guess is that you will waste money if you go for the German Rail pass. It's usually cheaper to buy point to point tickets. If possible, in advance! Bookings for mid-september are already open. So you should definitely compare prices first before going for the very expensive rail pass.

Check fares and schedules on www.bahn.com

ny
Level Contributor
70 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is this possible?

thanks youngtravelerus.

It's because we will arrive at berlin airport and leave from berlin to home. As far as cities, we may stay 1 to 2 nights if there is lots to see eg bremen or bonn or muster. If not, we can be more flexible eg skip some of cities if time is limited

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
4,258 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is this possible?

Yeah, I see that you fly in and out of Berlin, but why not do the stuff you want to do in Berlin after your arrival or just before your departure? You are practically driving across the country, and back and forth and back again.

There is no "Muster" that comes to my mind, are you talking about Münster?

If you stay in Cologne, you won't have to stay in Bonn as it's actually really close.

Edited: 18 June 2013, 18:34
Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
5,133 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is this possible?

I suggest you get a map of Germany and mark the places you want to visit. That's the easiest way to find a reasonable travel route.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
19,593 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is this possible?

I agree with Quiltneeedle, having a look at a map might help you.

Also looking at bahn.com ; you can put in departure point and destination then when you have train options click to see "intermediate stops" eg you could stop in Göttingen on your way to/from Berlin

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
17,600 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is this possible?

I think you have a completely false conception of how close various cities are to each other. As presented, you're going to be spending many hours on the trains crisscrossing the country and sitting in train stations.

I would like to suggest you concentrate for this trip on the north and northeast of the country, and leave Cologne, the Rhine, Heidelberg and the Black Forest for a future trip.

Within easy reach of Berlin, you have many beautiful and historical cities and towns: Dresden, Leipzig, Erfurt, Eisenach, Magdeburg, Quedlinburg with its medieval half-timbered old town, and Schwerin as you have mentioned. In your 3 week stay, you could easily spend a week or 10 days on those places, then visit Hamburg, Bremen and, say Lübeck and Lüneburg in another leg, and then give Berlin (and Potsdam) the week they really deserve.

Just a suggestion.

7. Re: Is this possible?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2014, 05:17