We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help needed: Relaxing things to do in Berlin

Which Berlin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
13 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Help needed: Relaxing things to do in Berlin

My wife and I did n't know whether to have a 'lying on the beach vacation' or an exciting cultural excursion in Berlin. We opted for the latter but are still looking for relaxing things to do in Berlin, especially as my wife has a stressful job. Is there are anything worth avoiding because of the hassle? Are there any relaxing day trips near Berlin. What do you guys recommend, I would appreciate any feedback.

Bautzen, Germany
Level Contributor
814 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Help needed: Relaxing things to do in Berlin

Here are three day trips:

Spreewald

You could do a guided boat tour on one of the typical barges. A bit like in Venice, but through forests, meadows and small villages. You can also rent a canoe and explore the region on your own.

Potsdam

The city offers several beautiful royal parks, not just Sanssouci. The park rules however are very strict, but in the New Garden, where Cecilienhof palace is located (place of the Potsdam Conference) you could have a nice picnic. There is also a nude(!) beach which is very popular among the (sadly mostly older) ;) locals, and you can also sunbathe almost everywhere.

Chorin monastery

This is the romantic ruin of a Gothic monastery. The monastery is surrounded by a beautiful park and located in the so called Schorfheide, Germanys biggest forest. To get there simply take the RE3 from Berlins main station.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Munich, Amsterdam, The Ardennes
Level Contributor
7,210 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help needed: Relaxing things to do in Berlin

I just came back from a long sunny weekend Berlin. When the weather is good it's really enjoyable at one of the beach bars. I liked Yaam a lot, the have sand, hammocks, beach chairs, music...... felt like a carribean island.

Bedfordshire...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
8,975 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help needed: Relaxing things to do in Berlin

You would be selling the city short if didn't visit some of the spectacular musuems and other places of interest during your stay and I have never found Berlin to be a stress-inducing place, unlike, say, Paris or Venice or Florence during the high season (I love all three, although the crowds can get a bit oppressive sometimes) but in Berlin a boat tour on the river is always a good thing if you need to take a breather.

All the ideas listed by Martin are excellent as well.

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
16,744 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help needed: Relaxing things to do in Berlin

You can get some of your "relaxing on the beach" at some of Berlin's beautiful lakes, like the Schlachtensee, Grunewaldsee or (one of my favourites) the lakeside near Tegelort.

A 3 or 5 lake boat tour from Wannsee makes for a very relaxing outing, and you get a chance to see Berlin from a totally different angle (and some of its palatial villas).

London, United...
Level Contributor
15,841 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help needed: Relaxing things to do in Berlin

I'm sure your intention in going to Berlin is to visit the museums and sites, but yes, there are plenty of opportunities very nearby for relaxing trips.

I love the Schlachtensee, which Bill has mentioned: it's reachable by S-bahn in half an hour from the centre, it's very beautiful, and you can walk around its 5km circumference in an hour, go swimming from one of several little beaches, and have a meal in the café at the eastern end.

Stern und Kreis's Seven Lakes tour from Wannsee takes you through some of the most beautiful of Berlin's outskirts. You can take it as far as Glienicke, visit Schloss Glienicke and then walk through Schlosspark Glienicke to the Pfaueninsel (Peacock Island) a nature reserve (with resident peacocks) where you can walk for hours in beautiful surroundings, and return on the boat to Wannsee on the same ticket.

…sternundkreis.de/en/SundK/Home/K256.htm…

You could combine a visit to the Haus am Wannsee Konferenz, or the Liebermann Villa, or both, with a walk in the woods around Wannsee itself .

So yes, loads of opportunities.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
19,061 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help needed: Relaxing things to do in Berlin

Stern und Kreis has lots of boat trips, also on the lakes and the River Spree south-east of Berlin centre (Köpenick and beyond)

I don't think you need to worry, Berlin is generally a fairly laid-back city. It is certainly a lot quieter and less hectic than Barcelona. I go to Berlin for the peace and quiet: what i experience in noise and traffic levels, just going out of the house (flat), is so different in the 2 cities and yet both are similar distance from central points (Plaça catalunya/Alexanderplatz)

It's really busy by the Brandenburg Gate and by Checkpoint Charlie and in the shopping district near Zoologischer Garten station but I'd say that's about it.

Edited: 27 June 2013, 13:41
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
5,477 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help needed: Relaxing things to do in Berlin

Treptower Park is also popular for relaxing and watching the world go by; I like it there. But there are great parks all over.

London, United...
Level Contributor
15,841 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help needed: Relaxing things to do in Berlin

>But there are great parks all over.<

Very true. Berlin is the greenest city in Europe, I believe, in terms of the ratio of green space to people! The Tiergarten, Berlin's "Central Park", is huge, and lovely; so is Treptower Park. Volkspark Friedrichshain and Volkspark Humboldthain are two more large, nice parks, and there are too many more to mention.

You can get to the Grunewald very quickly by S-bahn, and walk for hours in the woods and along the lakes.

And wherever you stay (where are you staying, by the way?) there is likely to be a small park near by where you can sit on a bench and watch the world go by, as Darren says.

And as Lynda says, Berlin is a quiet, laid-back city: a huge area with a small population. Unlike Paris, Madrid, Athens, and other capital cities, traffic is calm and almost minimal except on the major roads, and you'll barely notice it. Berlin is a very relaxing place to be - surprisingly so for a big city.

Edited: 28 June 2013, 01:04
Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
1,695 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help needed: Relaxing things to do in Berlin

If the weather is nice and warm - unlike today ;-) - you could a beach day at the Jungfernheidebad. It's a natural pool at a lake and the owners of this lido keep on part as a nice beach with golden sand. The website is in German only but you can see a picture http://www.strandbad-jungfernheide.de/

Or you could do a wellness day for example at the Meridian Spa in Spandau (in the west of Berlin). You can spend a whole day there in there wellness area with pool and sauna and could do one of their many massages. meridianspa.de/standorte/meridianspa-spandau… I couldn't see if there have an English site but you could always mail them for information. You could also have a wellness day outside of Berlin, for example at Bad Saarow Thermal bath bad-saarow.de/en/… , the Kristalltherme in Ludwigsfelde www.kristall-saunatherme-ludwigsfelde.de/

10. Re: Help needed: Relaxing things to do in Berlin

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 July 2014, 05:18