We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Berlin

southern California
Level Contributor
1 post
52 reviews
Save Topic
Berlin

What is best interesting neighborhood in Berlin to stay for one week that is close to public transportation but not in tourist area. Please recommend one with restaurants, bars, stores in walking area.

Naples, Italy
Level Contributor
1,094 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Berlin

Friedrichshain, for sure.

Yardley...
Level Contributor
146 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Berlin

I stayed in Mitte at the Radisson Blu in January as a solo male traveler and did not feel that the area was touisty even though it was so close to most of the sites you will want to see. It is easy walk to hackesher market with many clubs and restaurants and nearby restaurants across the park from the hotel were mostly locals. Transportation was incredibly easy with the 100 ,200 airport xl bus stopping literally at your doorstep and the S bahn a 5 minute walk to connect everywhere. You can visit any neighborhoods in Berlin quickly from here by public transport ( buy a week long transit pass or welcome card) and add a museum pass if that is in your plans, it pays for itself very quickly.

The area around the Radisson has quite a bit of open space and you will not feel trapped in a tight city. In fact Berlin is very spread out so the crowdedness of a NYC or san Francisco is not there. I have been to many European and American cities, but I really liked Berlin. It is fascinating

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,456 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Berlin

I'd say Friedrichshain or Kreuzberg, but all of Berlin's "boroughs" have many different neighbourhoods, and what you really need is advice about particular neighbourhoods. I can't give you that advice as I don't know either area at all well, but I hope someone who does will come in here.

If you really don't want to be around your fellow tourists (though why that's a problem for tourists I can't ever understand - after all, you're a tourist too) then don't stay in Mitte, which is where most tourists (including me) stay. Spiegss88 was in Berlin in January, not exactly the height of the tourist season, so he wouldn't have experienced crowds of tourists anywhere. That said, there are only a few places where there are ever crowds of tourists - the Brandenburger Tor, Checkpoint Charlie, the Pergamon Museum.

Also, you haven't said when you plan to be in Berlin, which would also influence your experience.

Naples, Italy
Level Contributor
1,094 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Berlin

@Alabastron: I guess she wants to stay in a less touristy area to experience the "real spirit" of the city at best, as I like to do while travelling, that's why I told her to choose Friedrichshain (a place I really loved) without even argumenting my answer. Nonetheless it's true, as you said, that every neighborhood in Berlin has its own perks, and it's also true that Berlin is not a touristic city as Rome, London or Paris may be...I was in June there (supposed to be high season), and actually the only crowds I found were at the sites you mentioned, and also at the Reichstag Building.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
19,811 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Berlin

Parts of Kreuzberg gets loads of tourists esp in the evenings (pub crawlers, clubbers); the locals protest a lot about it. Friedrichshain also attracts clubbers

The top part of Mitte bordering Prenzlauer Berg is not such a tourist hotspot, except for Mauerpark fleamarket and the Bernauer Strasse Berlin Wall memorial . But to go to the memorial I would say you have to be a bit more of a thinking tourist, it's not an icon like Brandenburg Gate and Checkpoint Charlie (which is an icon to Englsih-speakers, Germans couldn't cross at Checkpoint Charlie so I don't think it has the same level of "attraction" to them.

You could look to stay on Brunnestrasse, for example. Or Kastanienalllee. Or.... to be really off the beaten track touristically you coud stay in Wedding (which starts at Bernauer Strasse), not many tourists there at all, nor cool clubs etc.

Edited: 09 July 2013, 09:26
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
5,841 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Berlin

Wedding is definitely NOT a tourist area. I rent an apartment on the border between Wedding and Gesundbrunnen (both neighbourhoods in the Mitte borough) and there are few hotels and the shops and bars are local. The only downside is that it can take a little time to get to the sights.

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,456 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Berlin

The real spirit of Berlin - which means many different things - is apparent just about everywhere in Berlin. In the quiet residential Mitte street where I stay, between Hackescher Markt and Rosenthaler Platz, the only tourists I see (very few of them) have been in the very small, good, Vietnamese restaurant next door, my "local". Otherwise it's families with children, plus some nice small upmarket shops. A reasonably good supermarket nearby, and smaller food shops. And close to most of the things I want to do, including the major museums, which is why I stay there, though now that I know Berlin fairly well I know I'd enjoy staying in other areas just as much. Of course the "spirit" there is quite different from the spirit in other neighbourhoods, whether Kreuzberg, Friedrichshain, Prenzlauerberg (and certainly Wedding). That's why I've asked the OP for more information, and why I'm also hoping that someone who actually lives in Berlin will tell her something about their neighbourhood.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
219 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Berlin

I'll put a plug in for the Savignyplatz area, in Charlottenburg. Terrific walking area - lots of shopping, restaurants, and bars. This area includes the Ku'damm.

As for transportation it doesn't get any better than Savignyplatz S-Bahn, Uhlandstrasse U-Bahn and the all encompassing Zoologischer Garten station.

9. Re: Berlin

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 July 2014, 06:19