We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Berlin Restaurants - Short List

Birmingham, United...
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Berlin Restaurants - Short List

Hi all,

Our Berlin trip is soon upon us. During our visit I plan to surprise my better half to a special dinner and some nice evenings. I have short listed three options I am considering...

I see that Paris Bar has good reviews, saying that, I see also negative comments on the service and food. Thinking of this place for a special dinner.

I’ve received recommendations to eat at Frankes Brasserie for an excellent atmosphere and good fun, but my concerns are the fact that it’s located in the hotel, is this issue for anyone that’s eaten there? Considering Frankes Brasserie for some fun, informal nights...

And also I am considering Nuovo Mario as we both like Italian. Again, mixed reviews, mainly positive, but I read somewhere that the waiters are Albanian and rude, can anyone confirm?

I'd like to ask any locals, or tourists that have eaten there recently for an accurate review. I don't paying extra but cannot tolerate bad service, arrogance or poor food (if overpriced).

I'll be grateful for any direct and honest advice.

Insider Tour
City Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, Day Trips
SANDEMANs NEW Europe - Berlin
Private Tours, Bar, Club & Pub Tours, City Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours
Fat Tire Tours Berlin
City Tours, Segway Tours, Bike Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
Original Berlin Walks
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours, Private Tours
Manchester...
Level Contributor
1 post
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Berlin Restaurants - Short List

Heising is worth the money. I think it is no 1 in Trip Advisor Berlin restaurants. Classic French food with the best service around. It is like stepping back in time.

London, United...
Level Contributor
18,259 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Berlin Restaurants - Short List

NellyWba, I'm afraid that coming from the UK, with a UK mindset, you may well think you are getting arrogant service in Berlin. The wait staff in Berlin restaurants, in my observation, generally regard themselves as human beings equal to their customers, not as their servants, not as their inferiors, and they behave accordingly. In a busy restaurant they will be rushed, and will seem offhand. They are never servile.

Please make allowances for this, because you will meet it (except perhaps in the most upmarket restaurants of which I have no experience). Enjoy the difference.

It may not be such a great idea to go to Berlin, or indeed to travel anywhere, with an "I cannot tolerate..." attitude. However you finish the sentence, it's a recipe for disappointment.

London, United...
9 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Berlin Restaurants - Short List

Alabastron is so right: "The wait staff in Berlin restaurants, in my observation, generally regard themselves as human beings equal to their customers, not as their servants"...the good point is that prices in Berlin are better(lower) compare to London

I strongly believe that in Berlin you can get better value for your money.

Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
7,837 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Berlin Restaurants - Short List

I have not been to Paris Bar but friends in Berlin have warned me off !

In the last few months I have been in Osteria Ribaltone , crowded Italian trattoria with good food. Speaking some Italian seems to improve the service ;-)

Bacco on Marburger Strasse is more old school upmarket Italian with very good service, nice decor and extensive wine list. Both would need advance reservations

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
219 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Berlin Restaurants - Short List

Just down the street from the Paris Bar is a restaurant called Ottenthal - pretty good bet for a tasty evening.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
219 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Berlin Restaurants - Short List

HEY, how about an oysters and champagne lunch on the 6th floor of KaDeWe. That doesn't catch your eye, then maybe one of the other several eating islands will. Check it out.

Amsterdam, The...
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Berlin Restaurants - Short List

You will get that arrogance at Paris, we learned the hard way. Really not a fan of Paris Bar!

Franke Brasserie is a different (and enjoyable experience), its separated from the hotel so you won't have any disturbances at all. There a certain buzz and the cocktails are very good as is the food.

I didn't eat at Nuovo Mario so wouldn't like to comment.

Birmingham, United...
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Berlin Restaurants - Short List

Alabastron - you get me wrong! I am not a disrespectful person, but I work too hard to throw my money away on arrogance.

I think that the others comments have justified my fears, I will not take the risk and spend my money at other locations.

Thank you all for your recommendations, it seems we are set :) wish me luck!

London, United...
Level Contributor
18,259 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Berlin Restaurants - Short List

Nelly, that's exactly what I meant. It's the presumption of arrogance that is the problem. You'll be depriving yourself of good experiences in traditional Berlin restaurants, where you'd get good food at good prices, if you go only to expensive restaurants out of your fear of arrogance, which almost certainly won't be arrogance even when it's perceived by you as such.

Have a good visit to Berlin, whatever you do and wherever you eat.

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
18,701 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Berlin Restaurants - Short List

The Paris Bar was a big hangout for brand-name artists, writers and film directors back in the 70s and 80s. I'm sure it's long ago lost its lustre as a place to hobnob with the "Promis." The food has always been typical Paris bistro grub -- OK but nothing to write home about. And the waiters have always been, if not arrogant, then the next thing to it.