We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Checked baggage and check in questions for Tegel airport

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Checked baggage and check in questions for Tegel airport

My wife and I will be travel from Istanbul to London with a 7 hour layover in Tegel. IST to TXL is on Turkish airline, and TXL to LHR is on Lufthansa, both Star Alliance. Will our checked luggage by checked through direct to Heathrow or would we need to clear customs and recheck them in Tegel? Not sure of interline or non-schengen restrictions.

If we can get out and explore the city, when would we need to return to the airport by (flight is at 6:10)? Assuming the luggage is all worked out, we should already be checked in with just carry-on luggage at that point.

Thanks very much

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Tegel Airport
Tegel Airport
Berlin, Germany
Heathrow Airport
Heathrow Airport
Hounslow, UK
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
6,296 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Checked baggage and check in questions for Tegel airport

On the assumption that you are travelling on a single ticket (i.e. checked through, single booking, one reference) then your luggage will be interlined. On check-in at IST, they should give you your boarding pass for TXL-LHR - if not, ask for it as it will buy you a little extra time in Berlin.

TXL is not a typical transfer airport. If transferring between flights you are forced by the layout of the airport to return landside, and go back through security at the departure gate of the second flight. So you very much will be able to get out, and - crucially - MUST be able to enter the Schengen Area. If you're travelling on a Canadian passport, you'll have no problems.

If they give you the TXL-LHR boarding pass at IST, you'd need to be back at the airport an hour before the flight (security is slow). You'll have time to get into town, see a few things, maybe have lunch. Whilst a bus would only be €2.40 each way per person, a taxi would be quicker - if you're OK with dropping €20-25 on the fare, each way. I'd say you'd have a good 5 hours to play with.

Mentioned in this post
Tegel Airport
Tegel Airport
Berlin, Germany
Berlin
Berlin
Germany
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Checked baggage and check in questions for Tegel airport

Thanks Darren for your quick response. How is rush hour around Berlin? Should we expect to hit traffic leaving the city center for the airport around 4ish?

Thanks again

Mentioned in this post
Berlin
Berlin
Germany
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
6,296 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Checked baggage and check in questions for Tegel airport

I have to confess that I've never done that journey as when I fly to TXL I'm going to an apartment just a few kilometres from the airport. Berlin does have wide streets and I've never noticed particular traffic problems other than those caused by roadworks.

Mentioned in this post
Tegel Airport
Tegel Airport
Berlin, Germany
Berlin
Berlin
Germany
Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
8,123 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Checked baggage and check in questions for Tegel airport

The traffic at that time could add an extra 20-30 mins, depending where you start from. If you get a cab at 4pm near Branenburg Gate then you should be at Tegel before 5pm, leaving 70 minsto get to your plane.

Mentioned in this post
Tegel Airport
Tegel Airport
Berlin, Germany
5. Re: Checked baggage and check in questions for Tegel airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 July 2014, 06:19