We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best places to stay in for mother/daughter trip?

Which Berlin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dubai, Dubai...
Level Contributor
8 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Best places to stay in for mother/daughter trip?

Hello all,

We are planning a trip to Berlin for 6 days this August and would like to know some good locations to stay in? I've been doing a lot of research and it seems that there are just so many neighborhoods to choose from. We're not on a strict budget, but we don't want anything too expensive either.

We want to be close to the sights/ a short metro ride away, and in a historical, charming neighborhood with lots of cafés, restaurants, etc. We don't really want to be in the heart of the nightlife scene or in a "party neighborhood". However, we are okay with being close to a few bars if that means we're in a convenient location. I've been looking into Mitte, Prenzlauerberg and Charlottenburg. Right now I'm considering Charlottenburg, but Prenzlauerberg also seems to be an attractive option. I heard Mitte has the perfect location in terms of tourist attractions, but has a few "run-down" areas that may not be safe at night. Is this true?

We are also from northeast africa, and I've read from some forums that Prenzlauerberg may not be the best option for "foreign-looking" tourists, but I'm not sure whether people are overreacting or not. I've heard that Berlin is very safe in general.

Thank you for the help!

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
5,141 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best places to stay in for mother/daughter trip?

When you are not on a budget treat yourself to a few days at the Adlon. I did that last year with my mum it was great, the only problem is that you don't really want to leave the hotel ;)

I always stay in Mitte when in Berlin and always felt perfectly safe.

London, United...
Level Contributor
16,721 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best places to stay in for mother/daughter trip?

Yes, Berlin is a very safe city, and I really don't think you will have any problems at all in any of the areas where you might consider staying. There are a few rough areas in Berlin, but you're very unlikely to be going anywhere near them during your visit, let alone staying there.

The main sights and attractions of Berlin are spread out, but most of the ones you'll probably be wanting to see on a first, short visit are in the eastern part of the city: that is, the main museums, and the principal WWII and Berlin Wall sites and memorials. That makes Mitte the area of choice, if you want to be as close as possible to them, and walking distance from some. And Mitte is perfectly safe, apart from the odd incident in and around Alexanderplatz.

But the neighbourhood you're describing sounds more like Prenzlauerberg, and the inner parts of Prenzlauerberg are perfectly convenient for sightseeing. Look for something in the neighbourhood of Zionskirche and Arkonaplatz, or along Kastanienallee, where there are tram connections that will get you to Hackescher Markt and the Museum Island very quickly.

If you are thinking of renting a short stay apartment, have a look at Urban Apartments Berlin. They have a great choice of apartments in Prenzlauerberg.

www.urban-apartments.com/

London, United...
Level Contributor
16,721 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best places to stay in for mother/daughter trip?

PS. Charlottenburg is very nice too, but I think you'd find it a bit too far from most of the things you're likely to want to see and do, apart from the palace itself.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
219 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best places to stay in for mother/daughter trip?

I'm a big fan of staying in the Savignyplatz area of Charlottenburg - it is a great area to spend your evenings after days of touring the many sights of Berlin. Great area for walking in the evenings with a vast array of hotel options, dining options, great bars, and shopping.

What really sells the Savignyplatz area for me, is the ability to put you in the middle of anything and everything you want to see and do, in Berlin, within 10-15 minutes with the easy access to Savignyplatz S-bahn station, the Uhlandstrasse U-bahn station, and the Zoologischer Garten Station.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
5,707 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best places to stay in for mother/daughter trip?

Don't worry about being from NE Africa; Berlin has a large Turkish community and a growing black population. You won't stand out.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
19,553 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best places to stay in for mother/daughter trip?

Just to add, if searching for an apartment, that Arkonaplatz and Zionskirchplatz and the bottom of Kastanienallee are actually in Mitte. The vibe is more Prenzlauer Berg and I've seen the Zionskirche described as being in P. Berg even in histories of the end of the GDR (where the Zionskirche was active in the opposition to the regime) but Schwedter Strasse is the district boundary.

Edited: 17 July 2013, 21:09
London, United...
Level Contributor
16,721 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best places to stay in for mother/daughter trip?

>The vibe is more Prenzlauer Berg <

That's right. That's why I put it there. Torstrasse always feels to me like the Mitte-Prenzlauerberg border, though I know it isn't.

Mitte or Prenzlauerberg, the area would meet Travelite's wishes and expectations, I think.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
19,553 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best places to stay in for mother/daughter trip?

I was just pointing it out because depending on the website they are searching with, apartments there are listed under Mitte (which is the correct location by district boundaries). I discovered, when looking for a rental for friends of mine who wanted to stay really near us that sometimes it was shown as Prenzlauer berg (which was not what I was looking under as its strictly speaking wrong). So Arkonaplatz etc is sometimes listed as Mitte, sometimes Prenzlauer Berg

Posters here have mentioned rentals on Strelitzer Strasse, Anklamer Strasse. Where my friends stayed on Ruppiner Strasse overlooking Arkonaplatz is now no longer rented out but I think thare are still holiday rentals in the building.

in 2005 we stayed in an apartment on Novalisstrasse, found on 123berlinzimmer.de That is also above Torstrasse but at the Chausseeestrasse end and is still ordinary Mitte. I agree that above Torstrasse by Rosenthaler Platz it's approaching Prenzlauer Berg in all senses: you're actually visibly going uphill for a start. Pretty unusual in berlin!

Edited: 18 July 2013, 08:13
9. Re: Best places to stay in for mother/daughter trip?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 July 2014, 06:19