We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Around Tegel Airport

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
12 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Around Tegel Airport

Hi,

We have 3.5 hours stopover in Tegel. I wanted to go to Alt Tegel, but it looks like there is no direct transportation. Any other ideas? Just to walk around somewhere rather than sit by the gate..... Would really appreciate the response... Thank you,

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
2,449 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Around Tegel Airport

The buses from Tegel leave very frequently and are very reliable. The route into central Berlin is not that interesting. Because Tegel is so small and deals with passengers so efficiently, I think you COULD take the trip into the city and get back in time. You would spend probably an hour on the bus (total) and an hour or two walking around. The alternative is to get off the bus and take the subway, but then you are underground for the next 10-15 minutes. Others will give you more precise advice. Tegel is a super little airport. Sad that it will close (someday).

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
5,880 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Around Tegel Airport

It could take you half an hour to get through immigration and you'd need to be back at TXL 90 mins ahead of your flight, so that doesn't leave much time. TXL is not a traditional transfer airport and you can't do airside transfers.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
2,449 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Around Tegel Airport

I agree with darrenmcc - not much time. But I find Tegel to be VERY efficient and I have always gotten through the passport control in only 10 minutes or so. If you have to collect your bag (and then later recheck it), then the time spent is probably 25-30 minutes. Checking in for your next flight can take a while, depending on how big the aircraft is and how many airline staff are on duty. But at least they KNOW you are standing in line for THAT particular flight. Tegel is much more personal than normal airports in many regards.

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
17,992 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Around Tegel Airport

There's no reason why you couldn't go to Alt-Tegel. Take the 128 bus to Kurt-Schumacher-Platz and then the U6 to Alt-Tegel. This takes about 25 minutes. At Alt-Tegel if It's a nice day, there's an atmosphere like a seaside resort: ice cream parlours, outside terraces where people are enjoying a beer in the sunshine. From the Greenwich-Promenade there are pleasure boats leaving every few minutes to cruise the lakes and the Havel River. You don't have enough time to take one, but you do have time to walk along the lakeside promenade, see the swans and seagulls and enjoy the sea air.

5. Re: Around Tegel Airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 July 2014, 06:20