We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Berlin during Christmas

Finland
Level Contributor
71 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Berlin during Christmas

Hi, I'm looking for lovely Christmas destinations and since Berlin is one of my favorite cities in the whole world, I'd like to know if anything is open during Christmas Eve/Day/Boxing Day.. mainly interested in restaurants, cafe's and so on..? anything special and local that you would suggest doing there during Christmas time?

All tips are very welcome :) thanks!

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
5,133 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Berlin during Christmas

Shops will close on Christmas Eve at around 2pm.

Most restaurants will stay open during the holidays, but you better pre-book a table because almost everyone will go for lunch or dinner in a restaurant either on Christmas or Boxing Day. Museums will be closed.

Frankfurt
Destination Expert
for Frankfurt
Level Contributor
5,719 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Berlin during Christmas

Restaurants will also be closed on Christmas Eve. Make dinner reservations at a nice hotel instead.

For museums on Christmas Day, and the 26th which is also an official holiday, check the individual websites for their opening hours. Some will be open.

Hopefully someone who lives in Berlin will offer some ideas for local activities, such as concerts, etc. A few of the Christmas Markets will also be open, so check this website for dates and locations:

berlin.de/en/events/3114794-2842498-christma…

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
1,695 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Berlin during Christmas

You will find many restaurants, bars and cafes open over the Christmas holidays. Even on Christmas Eve you will find places which are open, so not so many as on the other two days. Some might have a fixed Christmas menue.

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
5,133 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Berlin during Christmas

>>>Even on Christmas Eve you will find places which are open...,<<<

Ha, I knew it! There are enough people going out with friends on Christmas Eve. When restaurants are open in our tiny town, why shouldn't they in Berlin.

Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
7,541 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Berlin during Christmas

As said many museums will be open . On Christmas Eve it is best to book welli in advance as some places are closed and many are fully booked. Also a lot have 4+ course fixed menus only that night.

I have been to a Christmas day concert,with carols and other christmas music in the afternoon of 25th, in the philharmonic hall. A very nice way to spend a couple of hours before dinner

6. Re: Berlin during Christmas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 August 2014, 06:18