We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Berlin or Cologne?

Which Berlin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
38 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Berlin or Cologne?

I am planning a three day visit to Germany in October and am having difficulty deciding between these two destinations for my visit.

In your experience which city has more to offer in terms of the sights? I know that each have their own unique locations, but which would be more worthwhile to see?

Also, if I arrive Tegel Airport (from Rome) how long will it take me to arrive in the city center? Where do I have to go to see landmarks such as: Deutsches Historisches Museum, Potsdam's Gardens, the Holocaust Memorial and Gendarmenmarkt?

Thank you.

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
5,141 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Berlin or Cologne?

Berlin!

It takes you about half an hour from Tegel into the city center (Mitte).

Historisches Museum, Holocaust Memorial an Gendarmenmarkt are all in Mitte and easy to find when you look on a map.

Potsdam Gardens is on the outskirts in a town called Potsdam.

Click on "Things to do" at the green bar above.

Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
522 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Berlin or Cologne?

Cologne is nice, but regarding sights and many other cultural things it obviously cannot compete with Berlin ...

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
5,617 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Berlin or Cologne?

I've done Cologne in a weekend. I've been doing Berlin for 7 years and there's still stuff I've not seen.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
24,371 posts
523 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Berlin or Cologne?

Depends on what you like, but for me it is a no brainer and I have never been to Europe.

PARIS
Level Contributor
12,812 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Berlin or Cologne?

Berlin.

Cologne is nice but can't compare.

London, United...
Level Contributor
16,437 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Berlin or Cologne?

Berlin.

Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
522 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Berlin or Cologne?

Well, as everybody has said, Berlin has more to offer. On the other hand, the OP has only three days and hasn't said anything about his interests. If he isn't particularly keen on a big city and likes landscapes, churches, Roman history, castles, half-timbered houses, vineyards, Beethoven, and much more, then he could spend those 3 days just as well in Cologne, Bonn and the MiddleRhineValley. I don't want to talk him out of Berlin. I was born in Berlin and love it, so I think I am not biased. However, even though Berlin has much more interesting things to see, if you only have 3 days anyway, you can have an equally great time in both places. And Cologne has some great museums too! If you consider the area around Cologne that corresponds to the surface of Berlin, there are easily more cultural offerings than you can digest in 3 days. Also, I think an Indian Summer can be more lovely sitting on the terrace of a castle overlooking the Rhine and the vineyards or on a boat than walking the tarmac in Berlin.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
219 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Berlin or Cologne?

I was just in Cologne for 3 days - and I don't think I have been in a more unimpressive city - not much of an urban landscape, incredibly commercial, and Altstadt is nothing more than a haven for stag parties.

I just don't get the attraction - GO BERLIN!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
219 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Berlin or Cologne?

Although, I did enjoy the Kölsch!

Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
522 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Berlin or Cologne?

I has already been said (and doesn't need further proof) that Berlin has more to offer and on the whole is the more interesting tourist destination, but @traveledalready, with your comment on Cologne you are not doing justice to the city. First of all, I don't quite see why Cologne should be more "commercial" than any other tourist destination in Germany. As a matter of fact, Cologne doesn't rely on tourism, unlike Rothenburg o. d. T. The entrance to the Cologne Cathedral, Germany's most visited sight, is completely free, the same applies for the 12 Romanesque Churches in Cologne. As for stag parties, I think Berlin is a better destination than Cologne. If you find the waterfront with the Cathedral, the train station, the Hohenzollern Bridge, the Altstadt and the river Rhine unimpressive, then of course, Cologne is not for you. You will be pleasantly surprised to see that when arriving at Berlin main station, you won't have an old and boring church next to it. If the only good thing about Cologne that comes to your mind is the beer, then I guess you haven't seen much of Germany. Hardly anybody who doesn't live in Cologne would praise its beer. I concede that many parts of Cologne look plain ugly. Things would be different if it hadn't been completely distroyed in WWII. On the other hand I don't see much difference to other major German cities in this aspect. I could do a Berlin tour with anybody who hasn't been to Berlin, carefully pick the districts and make sure he never wants to come back.