We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Museum Pass - Do museums respect it?

Which Berlin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Haifa, Israel
Level Contributor
4 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Museum Pass - Do museums respect it?

After reading 2 bad comments on the poor treatment that Museum Pass holders got:

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g187323-d159…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187323-i135-k4684…

I began to be afraid of buying it.

I would like you to share your experience with it.

Thanks

London, United...
Level Contributor
16,708 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Museum Pass - Do museums respect it?

The answer to the question in your heading is "Yes".

The lengthy post by travelplanner 1000 is full of misinformation. Example: the trouble he had at the Bröhan Museum was due to his own lack of knowledge: the Bröhan Museum is a private museum, and the Museum Pass gives entry into the State museums, not into the private museums. The Berggruen Museum opposite, to which he did gain entry, is a State museum. The pass comes with a list of all the State museums, so it's easy to check.

Another complaint was having to queue for a time slot - this is the case at the Neues Museum. Another was having to pay 4 euros there. The pass is valid only for the museums' main collections: you do have to pay extra for special exhibitions if you want to see them.

Please don't worry. If you want to visit all the Museum Island museums and the Kulturforum museums, and any of the other 55 museums to which the Museum Pass gives entry, you should get it. It will save you a great deal of money.

If you are going to be in Berlin for a limited time, and you want to visit only the five Museum Island museums, you should also consider the 72-hour Welcome Card Plus Museum Island.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
19,545 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Museum Pass - Do museums respect it?

I recently bought the Basic pass (25€) which allows you to enter the museums from 4pm Mon-Fri and between 11and 1pm at the weekends. Once you are inside you can stay as long as you want, and for the Neues you go straight in (no timed ticket).

We visited the Berggruen and Scharf-Gerstennberg one day and the Neues another. Those two visits would have cost 26€ so we have already saved, with more visits in prospect. Paying 50€ for the Classic pass you get more freedom obviously. Or, if you are only visiting Berlin once and have a lot of stamina you can buy an area ticket and spend one day exclsively on Museum Island or at Kulturforum.

Edited: 12 August 2013, 13:12
London, United...
Level Contributor
16,708 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Museum Pass - Do museums respect it?

Lynda, are you talking about the Annual Pass? If so, does the basic version that allows entry between 11 and 1pm at weekends allow you to stay as long as you wish, as long as you arrive between 11 and 1?

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
5,703 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Museum Pass - Do museums respect it?

That's how I read it, when I *cough* failed to buy it.

Haifa, Israel
Level Contributor
4 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Museum Pass - Do museums respect it?

what do you meen exactly ?

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
5,703 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Museum Pass - Do museums respect it?

There is a an annual ticket, called the Jahreskarte Basic, which offers unlimited access to all the state museums for a year for €25. You may only enter the museum after 16:00 weekdays and between 11:00 and 13:00 weekends, but once you're in you can stay as long as you wish.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
19,545 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Museum Pass - Do museums respect it?

Yes, it allows you to stay as long as you like; they don't go round trying to find those with Basic cards at 1pm! Going in the afternoons, best day is Thursday because many of the museums are open till 8pm.

from the website www.smb.museum/smb/service/index.php…

"BASIC membership for 25 euros

The new affordable membership rate, granting you year-long access to all permanent exhibitions at the Staatliche Museen in Berlin during off-peak times. With the BASIC annual pass, admission to the museums occurs as follows: Mon-Fri 4-6 p.m., Thur until 8 p.m. in museums that open late, Sat + Sun 11-1 p.m. Once inside, you can stay in the museum for as long as you want. "

Darren, you can go and buy it on your next visit!!

London, United...
Level Contributor
16,708 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Museum Pass - Do museums respect it?

Thanks Lynda!

And Darren, enough with the coughing already. Get a pass. Get the 50-euro one. Why would you limit yourself to late-afternoon visits when you're already worn out from whatever else you've been doing all day. Museums need you to be your freshest, most awake self. :0)

Haifa, Israel
Level Contributor
4 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Museum Pass - Do museums respect it?

But I asked about Museum pass, not annual or berlin or welcome .....this is the only pass that suits my needs(time in berlin, interests ect.)

Do any of you have any experience with that?

London, United...
Level Contributor
16,708 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Museum Pass - Do museums respect it?

Please read my post (post 1) again. It is about the Museum Pass. And yes, I have several years of experience of it, and have never been "refused entry" into any of the museums that it covers. I repeat - the long post by travelplanner1000 is inaccurate and misleading: s/he clearly didn't know, and didn't bother to find outeven after s/he wasn't allowed to use the Museum Pass at a private museum, that it covers only the State museums.

Do investigate the Welcome Card plus Museum Island as well. It may suit your needs, time, and interest even better.

Edited: 13 August 2013, 09:56