We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are tourists 65 and older entitled to a "pensioner" discount

Kensington
Level Contributor
337 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Are tourists 65 and older entitled to a "pensioner" discount

Are "pensioners" just German citizens or tourists also? We want to know if we can get discounts on entrances and tours?

Sydney
Level Contributor
120 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Are tourists 65 and older entitled to a "pensioner" discount

I just booked a ticket on Berlin line buses to Dresden, and there was a discount for those over 60

2. Re: Are tourists 65 and older entitled to a "pensioner" discount

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 16 August 2013, 17:35
London, United...
Level Contributor
17,857 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Are tourists 65 and older entitled to a "pensioner" discount

There are no discounts on entrances for over-60s. I think Germany has realised, as the UK has yet to do - fortunately for us older people - that many of us have ready money!

But have you investigated the Welcome Card? It offers substantial discounts - commonly 25% - on over 200 museums and attractions, including walking tours, boat tours, and many museums; also theatre, opera, and concerts. If you think you will use the discounts, it is very good value and depending on what you do, it can save a great deal of money.

You'll find all the information here:

http://www.bvg.de/index.php/en/17178/name/For+Visitors.html

Edit: You'll need to copy and paste the link: sorry.

Edited: 16 August 2013, 10:54
Kensington
Level Contributor
337 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Are tourists 65 and older entitled to a "pensioner" discount

Ys, thank you , I have looked into the welcome card. I just was trying to determine if I should purchase that or a 7 day transport pass and Museum pass.

5. Re: Are tourists 65 and older entitled to a "pensioner" discount

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 18 August 2013, 17:39
Kensington
Level Contributor
337 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Are tourists 65 and older entitled to a "pensioner" discount

Tried to delete this post as question has been answered

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
378 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Are tourists 65 and older entitled to a "pensioner" discount

In general the answer is 'no'. What we found is that if you ask very politely at some sights (never transport) if a discount is available, sometimes you will be lucky in smaller, out of the way places. Enjoy your travels!

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
38,494 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Are tourists 65 and older entitled to a "pensioner" discount

Such discounts are not that common in Germany. But if offered they are normally simply buy age (over 60 or over 65 years).

E.g. in Berlin the boat companies Stern und Kreisschifffahrt gives a 15% discount for over 60 years olds.

www.sternundkreis.de/en/SundK/Home/K256.htm…

Residency plays normally no role. But some offers make only sense for residents. E.g. there is a cheap yearly ticket for over 65 years olds covering all local public transport in Berlin and Brandenburg.

Banbury, UK
Level Contributor
223 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Are tourists 65 and older entitled to a "pensioner" discount

If I visit a museum or any attraction in Berlin I always try and obtain a seniors' discount. Sometimes I'm lucky so it's worth a try.

10. Re: Are tourists 65 and older entitled to a "pensioner" discount

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2014, 05:18