We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

is my crazy schedule realistic

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
is my crazy schedule realistic

We arrive in Berlin on a Saturday around 1pm and leave on the Tuesday at 6pm. Wishing we'd booked for longer after reading about all the amazing things to do in Berlin, but too late to change that.

So instead we've came up with the below hectic schedule. We did look at google maps and try to work out what was close together, but was hoping for some local knowledge if our plan is doable.

Our hotel is just off Alexanderplatz.

Saturday buy welcome card at airport, dump stuff in hotel then go to Computerspielemuseum followed by dinner and night out at White trash

Sunday 11am underground tour from Gesundbrunnen station, visit Berlin War Memorial and Designpanoptikum before going to see the market and karaoke at Mauer Park.

Dinner at Unsicht bar before attempting to get into Berghain (does anyone have any advice for this or back up plans if we don't get in?)

Monday Pergamon Museum, Palace of Tears and see the Brandenburg gate before going to the Reichstag (have reservation to view the dome for 5pm). Dinner somewhere (any recommendations?) before going to organised pub crawl starting at 9pm in Yesterday bar

Tuesday morning ddr museum, checkpoint charlie, topography of terror and LOXX Miniatur Welten. We have to check in at Schoenefeld airport between 4.15 & 5.35pm so may have to abandon some of Tuesdays plans depending on time restraints.

Is this at all feasible or are we going to kill ourselves trying to do so much in 4 days?

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: is my crazy schedule realistic

sorry I know my post above is very long, but would love some feedback if anyone has the time to read it.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
19,593 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: is my crazy schedule realistic

The last day is impossible. even if you had till the evening it would be. I wouldn't bother with Checkpoint Charlie as you have already been to Bernauer Strasse ( i assume you mean berlin Wall memorial not war memorial??) which is much more meaningful. Incidentally the fleamarket at Mauerpark finishes at 4pm so maybe you should do that before the Wall memorial as the Info centre near nordbahnhof is open later and the open-air part is free access.

Monday is pretty light. the DDR Museum is near Museum Island so you could visit it then.

You might consider doing a walking tour to get to see a bit more and hear some of the history (that way you would see Checkpoint Charlie too). they take about 3 hours. Have a look in forum search for recommendations.

To get to SXF the latest train I would go for is 15.50 from Platform 1 at Alexanderplatz . Anything later than that, if delayed could end up being tight as you say you have to check in (drop luggage?).

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: is my crazy schedule realistic

thanks very much for the feedback and info. You were correct, I did mean to type Berlin Wall Memorial rather than war.

Checkpoint Charlie seemed such an iconic place I wanted to see it, but I notice there are plenty of reviews saying it's not worth the while. Will maybe reconsider it.

Are you sure there is time to add something else to our Monday? I thought the Pergamon Museum and Palace of Tears would both take a while to see, though I suppose we wont spend that much time at the Brandenburg gate.

Karlstad, Sweden
Level Contributor
102 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: is my crazy schedule realistic

Checkpoint Charlie is probably the worst of tourist traps..fake actors playing MP and lining up for photos with tourists. Not to mention that it's not the actual checkpoint that's there, but a replica..

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
19,593 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: is my crazy schedule realistic

Pergamon Museum is quite big but not huge; I think a couple of hours wd do it. Palace of Tears 2 hours at most (if you read and listen to everything). Even with a break for lunch in between you've got some spare time as it's all fairly close together

Checkpoint Charlie is iconic to Brits and Americans maybe. As Germans couldn't use that crossing point I don't think it's so high on their list (although maybe I'm wrong). Certainly the crossing point at Friedrichstrasse (Tränenpalast) was more significant.

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,182 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: is my crazy schedule realistic

Lynda is right: Tuesday is impossible. I agree that you should give Checkpoint Charlie a miss, but I'm also concerned about the Topography of Terror, which is one of the most interesting - and demanding - centres of information in Berlin, and needs more time than you'll have (even if you skip Checkpoint Charlie). There is the outdoor historic site, the audio tour of which takes either half an hour or two hours depending on how interested you are; and the indoor documentation centre, where you could profitably take all day to read everything, look at all the photos, and listen to the audio material. It's all fascinating, all worthwhile, but it's almost impossible to pick and choose, and if you just wander around it for an hour you won't get much out of it.

Have you read through the website? If not, it would be worth doing because I think you may have to make a choice.

http://www.topographie.de/en/

Realistically, you've only got the morning: you'll probably want some lunch before heading for the airport, and you'll need time to collect your stuff at the hotel, too, unless it's all in a backpack with you. And I agree that you shouldn't leave it later than the 15.50 train. So if you're really interested in the DDR Museum and the LOXX Miniatur Welten, I'd suggest you go to those, spend as much time there as you need, and forget the Topography of Terror.

Alternatively, spend the morning at the Topography of Terror and forget the others.

How long you spend at the Pergamon really depends on how interested you are. The three main exhibits, which are enormous, are the ones most people come to see: the Pergamon Altar, the Market Gate of Miletus, and the Ishtar Gate. An hour, or a little more, would be sufficient to get a good look at them. But the Pergamon is really three museums, and it is very large indeed. After you've seen the three "biggies", the rest of the Collection of Classical Antiquities and the Museum of the Ancient Near East could take you the rest of the day, and you'd probably give up out of sheer exhaustion even before going upstairs to the Museum of Islamic Art (I did that at on three visits before I succeeded in getting up those stairs: I finally managed it by ignoring everything at ground level and going straight up). It's all great stuff, it just depends on how interested you are in it. Even just walking through to get a glimpse of everything takes a few hours.

If you want to see just the Big Three, then yes, you would have time to take in the DDR Museum on Monday as Lynda suggests, and that would simplify your Tuesday problem too.

Whatever you decide, and whatever you do, you will enjoy Berlin; but since you've asked "Is this at all feasible or are we going to kill ourselves trying to do so much in 4 days?" I've got to say that I think you'll enjoy yourself most if you re-think Tuesday. You won't kill yourselves, but if you try to do all three visits, you'll be in a rush, and you won't be able to concentrate, and that's no way to see the Topography of Terror.

Edited: 17 August 2013, 16:12
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: is my crazy schedule realistic

Thanks very much for the in depth responses.

I think the main attraction of the Pergamon is seeing the big 3 as you put it Albastron though I wouldn't mind spending some time seeing what else it has to offer.

While it would be quite nice to see the LOXX Miniatur Welten it's probably at the bottom of our list of priorities, though I do really want to see the DDR museum.

After all the negative feedback we've decided to definitely give Checlpoint Charlie a miss.

We're now trying to work out our plan b if we don't get into Berghain. We're thinking Watergate, Tresor and Schwarzlicht Minigolf are all in the rough vicinity of Berghain and could be fun. Would it take long to get to them, or is it farther than it looks on the map?

Mansfield, United...
Level Contributor
1,553 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: is my crazy schedule realistic

I'm more interested in your organised pub crawl :-) it would be interesting to see if it was worth while or just another way to rip off tourists.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: is my crazy schedule realistic

bobthestag will let you know how we get on with the pub crawl once we're back. Expect an update in the next couple of weeks :)

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: is my crazy schedule realistic

sorry, we never ended up doing the pub crawl in the end