We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advise on planning trip o berlin

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Advise on planning trip o berlin

We are a family of 2 adults and 2 kids (15,13yrs) visiting berlin in late October for 6 days.this is a historical tour of sorts and we do take longer to see a museum.will we benefit from choosing a travel pass?

We are thinking of staying in mitte,however places like Schoenberg are slightly cheaper.

Should we choose mitte?

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
5,141 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advise on planning trip o berlin

I personally prefer Mitte as it's close to everything (and I don't really like the former West of Berlin).

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
219 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Advise on planning trip o berlin

I'm a huge fan of the Savignyplatz area in Charlottenburg - excellent access to the S-Bahn and U-Bahn to get you anywhere you need to go in Berlin or out to Potsdam. The area has an incredible array of accommodation, restaurant, and shopping choices AND takes you away from the central core and puts you more into a residential, community- like setting to wind down after your sightseeing days. That would be my choice.

London, United...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advise on planning trip o berlin

If museums are an interest, then stay in Mitte, in the Hackescher Markt area, or Friedrichstrasse, so that you're short walking distance from the five Museum Island museums. Berlin's public transport system is excellent, and you'll need to use it sometimes, but why spend any more time underground than necessary on a short visit?

There are many different transport options: you can find all the information you need on the BVG website.

http://www.bvg.de/index.php/en/index.html

4. Re: Advise on planning trip o berlin

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 25 August 2013, 23:05
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
5,746 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advise on planning trip o berlin

Lines S1, S2 and S25 are below ground through Berlin. But Alabastron's point is a good one: Why spent time travelling from the opposite side of Berlin to where most of the things that are likely to attract you are?

yy m, I would strongly recommend that you look into a walking tour to get your bearings; there are also themed tours, such as Third Reich Berlin or Soviet Berlin. Insider Tours is recommended, but Sandemanns and Brewer's Berlin are also good.

As Alabastron said, the area around Hackescher Markt is close to the Museum Island, for which you can get a pass - making all five museums do-able. I think the pass is valid for 3 consecutive days, but I stand to be corrected. Your kids will get a discount.

If you do travel, get a pass if you will make more than 2 journeys in a day. Your 13-year-old will qualify for the reduced fare (Ermäßigungstarif). A 7-day pass costs the same as 4 one-day passes.

If you're interested in the history of East Germany you might be interested in the DDR Museum, which is very interactive, and the Stasi HQ at Normannenstrasse. For WW2, a trip to Oranienburg for Sachsenhausen concentration camp may be on the cards - though this may be a bit tough for the kids. The Memorial to the Murdered Jews of Europe may be easier and better for your kids. You know best!

For Berlin Wall history, head to the Memorial at Bernauer Strasse.

And it doesn't have to be all history - Berlin has great parks, two zoos, an aquarium and countless other things to do.

Have a great trip - don't hesitate to ask for advice.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
219 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Advise on planning trip o berlin

With the exception of a visit to the Berlin Wall Memorial (Gedenkstätte Berliner Mauer) or Sachsenhausen, the S1, S2, and S25 lines, while underground for the a portion of the line, would be the least ridden lines by visitors to Berlin.

I hope the OP and family plan to spend a large portion of their 6 days in Berlin, outdoors, enjoying Berliner Luft. Staying in Mitte is like staying downtown in any major city - hard, hard landscape.

There's so much of Berlin that you can see on on your own - a self-guided tour. For instance, you could take an S-Bahn to Hauptbahnhof, go out the front door and;

1) walk across the Spree toward the Reichstag, passing the Paul Löbe Haus and Marie-Elisabeth Lüders Haus on the left and the The German Chancellery ( Bundeskanzleramt) on the right. You could also sign up (in advance) for a terrific 90 minute tour of the Reichstag and Dome. From there head over to the Brandenburger Tor, then carrying on toward Potsdamer Platz, passing the Memorial to the Murdered Jews of Europe on the Right. OR you can pass through the Tor and walk down Unter den Linden toward Alexanderplatz (although Unter den Linden isn't at it's very best because of numerous construction projects).

2) walk along the banks of the Spree River and give yourself your own boat tour (without the boat) by walking to Museum Island.

So much more latitude and perspective, to Berlin, if you stay outside of Mitte and either walk in or ride in to it. I can't overstate the beauty of staying in an area, like Savignyplatz, over staying in Mitte.

Lots more self-guided tours if you need 'em.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
219 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Advise on planning trip o berlin

CORRECTION

...passing the Memorial to the Murdered Jews of Europe on the LEFT.

London, United...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Advise on planning trip o berlin

>WOW...the S-Bahn is above ground and Friedrichstrasse and Hackescher Markt are like 12 minutes from Savignyplatz - so much for Berlin experts!<

No need to be nasty, traveledalready. My point was a general one about the unwisdom of staying in an area where public transport (whether below or above ground - and the S-bahn, as Darren says, is not entirely above ground) would have to be used any more than absolutely necessary.

The OP made it quite clear that museums are an interest, so to recommend an area that you happen to be a huge fan of, but that is on the other side of Berlin from most of the main museums, was not entirely helpful.

You owe me an apology, but I'm not holding my breath.

Edited: 25 August 2013, 23:01
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
219 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Advise on planning trip o berlin

To call a 10-minute S-Bahn ride "the other side of Berlin" - yeah, don't hold your breath.

You do know where Savignyplatz is, don't you?

London, United...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Advise on planning trip o berlin

Yes.

I think it's time you read TripAdvisor's guidelines for posting on the forums.

tripadvisor.co.uk/help/what_are_the_guidelin…