We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

VAT refund, Berlin to Basel by train

Which Berlin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Basel, Switzerland
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
VAT refund, Berlin to Basel by train

I would like to ask for your experience with VAT refund for my purchase in Berlin - I'll be taking the train from the main station to Basel, and was hoping to learn in advance about where I can get a customs stamp.

Previous posts here clarify that there is no possibilityto stamp at the Hauptbahnhof in Berlin, but the actual place to stamp is not clear.

Do I need to wait for customs officers to be on the train? can I get a stamp at the German sector of the train station in Basel or is that too late after my departure? and if the counter is closed when I arrive there, what should I do?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,362 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: VAT refund, Berlin to Basel by train

You cannot get a VAT refund doing this as both Germany and Switzerland are part of the Schengen customs/immigration area. Check to see what paperwork is necessary to have when departing the Schengen area to get a refund. www.globalrefund.com should aid you in doing this.

Basel, Switzerland
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: VAT refund, Berlin to Basel by train

Hi, thanks a lot for the fast reply! Actually, I do receive a VAT refund on my frequent purchases in Germany, easily stamping the papers on my way back to Switzerland (getting there by foot or by bike), then receiving cash on my following purchase at the same store. I know how to do this, but this time I'll not be visitng the shops again in the near future.. plus I arrive by the train which may create a difference..

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
5,629 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: VAT refund, Berlin to Basel by train

You leave the EU in Basel as Basel SBB Bhf has extraterritorial status.

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
17,189 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: VAT refund, Berlin to Basel by train

There are companies that make this easier. One of them is Tax Free Worldwide: taxfreeworldwide.com/en/…33-0.html

You get the store to issue the Tax Free Worldwide form, get the export validated by German customs in the Basel Badische Bahnhof, in the tunnel between the platforms and the station hall. Then proceed to Basel SBB Bahnhof and you can get the cash refund, minus an administrative charge, at SBB Change. sbb.ch/bahnhof-services/…tax-free.html

You could also do this at SBB Change in Bern, Buchs St Gallen, Chiasso, Chur, Heerbrugg, Konstanz, Kreuzlingen, Rheineck, St. Gallen, St. Margrethen and Zurich Hauptbahnhof.

5. Re: VAT refund, Berlin to Basel by train

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 August 2014, 06:19