We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Possible plans- how does it look?

Which Berlin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Berkeley, California
Level Contributor
715 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Possible plans- how does it look?

So I have narrowed things down to come up with the following itinerary-

Haven’t figured out when to see the East Side gallery??

Please let me know if I’ve left out any other important places?

Friday the 18th - We ( my husband and I ) arrive at the airport from Italy at 3. We will pick up a Welcome pass for 5 days at the BVG counter at Tegel airport. We will take a taxi to the Hotel Adlon Kempinski. On the first afternoon we will head out to check out the Brandenburg Gate and DG Bank building next to Brandenburg Gate on Pariser Platz. We will go to the Memorial to the Murdered Jews of Europe Open Tuesday -till 7-next to our hotel (last entry 6:15) and use the audio guide.

That night we will eat at nearby Cookies and Cream. Plan to look at the festival of lights!

1-Saturday - 19th we will do a half day tour of the historic sites end up at the Museum Island. We will see The Berlin Cathedral (Berliner Dom) with and then go on to see the museums ourselves- On the Museum Island- the Alte Nationalgalerie (Old National Gallery) Tue-Sunday -6pm and the Pergamon Museum ( Need to have a museum pass, we have reserved a timed space here) Dinner is at 7 pm dinner at Katz Orange. Plan to continue to look at the festival of lights!

2-Sunday- 20th – take a walk through Tiergarten park and go to Nationalgalerie” (New National Gallery). Open 10-6 Tuesday- 11-6 on Sunday. Also, go to the Kunstgewerbemuseum (Museum of Decorative Arts). Open 10-6 Tuesday-Sunday. Look at the Philharmonie – (tour at 1:30) Maybe we could walk around Potsdamer Platz and Sony Center after? Dinner at 7 at Noto.

3-Monday the 21st - we will do a half day tour of the Jewish sites end up at the Jewish Museum (open till 10pm on Monday 8pm other days ). After the museum go to the Berlinische Galerie open 10-6 wed- Monday (Reduced admission after Jewish Museum).

Might get on a boat to rest our weary feet which dock near the DDR Museum. Know that hopping on the Buses 100 & 200 is another way to see the city off our feet.

Then have an apt for Reichstag dome at 6:30 on the 21st. (www.bundestag.de/htdocs_e/visits/kupp.html)

Need a place for a late dinner after dome (8) on Monday ?? any suggestions ? the restaurant at the dome is reserved for a special event.

4-Tuesday- 22nd Plan to spend the day at the Charlottenburg palace, and it’s baroque garden. Will see the two museums (Open 10-6 Tuesday-Sunday) located side by side: the Bröhan-Museum (Broehan Museum) and the Sammlung Berggruen (Berggruen Collection). I’m planning most of a day for these three places.

We could walk around Potsdamer Platz and Sony Center after?

Eat at via Condotti ?

5-Wednesday – 23rd pack up and leave our bags till our 4 taxi to Potsdam. See the Berlin war memorial And/or “Hamburger Bahnhof” Museum of contemporary art (open 10-6 Tuesday –Sunday) (heard there is an excellent café there, called Sarah Weiner) and the Kathe Kollwitz Museum. ??

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
5,134 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Possible plans- how does it look?

Sounds good!

I'm missing Bode Museum and Gendarmenmarkt ;)

Potsdamer Platz is only a short walk from your hotel and looks beautiful at night with all the lights on, you can probably do that on your first evening and have dinner at one of the restaurants there.

Enjoy your stay at the Adlon, it's my favourite hotel in Berlin but it has the big disadvantage, that I hardly want to leave its premisses for sightseeing ;)

Edited: 29 August 2013, 19:34
Berkeley, California
Level Contributor
715 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Possible plans- how does it look?

Thanks! I was planning on going over to the Bode Museum for lunch- heard there is a good cafe there? I will be sure to get to Gendarmenmarket on Saturday. I was realizing that I have very little down time planned for the hotel! ( do you quilt? i do)

Edited: 30 August 2013, 04:40
Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
5,134 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Possible plans- how does it look?

When I stayed at the Adlon for the first time, it was raining cats and dogs the whole weekend and I didn't regret it one bit ;)

Your plan is quite stuffed, be a bit more relaxed about it or you'll be terribly worn out.

Yes, I do quilt.

London, United...
Level Contributor
15,900 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Possible plans- how does it look?

Lunch in the Bode Museum's nice café will be lovely, but it won't help you see this magnificent collection of beautifully displayed sculpture. Do give the museum at least an hour or two. And if possible - I know it will be difficult, given the "stuffed-ness" of your itinerary - try not to be in a rush when you go through it. It's the most peaceful, calming place in the world, but it won't be if you're in a hurry to go somewhere else.

General advice to anyone planning a visit to the Bode Museum: don't ignore the paintings. They aren't the "stars" of the show, but they're there to complement the sculptures, they're all from the Gemäldegalerie's collection, and they're all worth looking at.

Edited: 30 August 2013, 07:42
5. Re: Possible plans- how does it look?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 30 August 2013, 08:05
Edited: 30 August 2013, 08:05
Berkeley, California
Level Contributor
715 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Possible plans- how does it look?

You are both correct. I've identified much more than we are likely to do. But I promise it won't be a rush to get through. We will adjust as we go to allow ourselves to take in all the amazing sites. If we miss a museum or two in favor of relaxing a bit that's just fine.

Comox, Canada
Level Contributor
1,240 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Possible plans- how does it look?

Be prepared for lineups at the DDR museum. East side is easy to get too ubahn to Warchaeur (sp) u bahn then a short walk. You don't have to worry about opening times there so maybe start your day there. Use the BVG site to plan your journey. Actually found Sony Centre area quite cold myself.

8. Re: Possible plans- how does it look?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 September 2014, 05:20