We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time in berlin

Which Berlin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Wolverhampton...
Level Contributor
37 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
First time in berlin

We are lookin to visit for 3 nights in january and were wondering which airport is best to fly to and also what attractions etc people would recommend.

We are early 30s and lke to see sights etc in the day and go for good food and drinks on the night.

Is there also a particular area that people would suggest staying in.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
22,882 posts
505 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time in berlin

I flew into Tegel from the U.S. Also it is much closer to the city center than is the other airport. Stay in the Mitte area if you like site seeing.

Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
7,234 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time in berlin

There don't seem to be any direct flights from Birmingham. If you go to Luton then EZY fly to Schonefeld. In Berlin Tegel is further in but connection is by bus or taxi the other airport has atrain.

Given that it may well be very cold then the Hakeschermarkt area is pretty central with lots of options in the evenings

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
19,078 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time in berlin

Easyjet also flies from Liverpool and Manchester, Ryanair from East Midlands (just saying.....but I know which I'd choose to fly with!). Check out Germanwings too.

When I fly to Berlin it's the price and timing that I look at first, not which airport I fly into.Having said that if it will be an early departure or late arrival Tegel (TXL) has the advantage that a taxi is only 20€ to Mitte whereas for Schönefeld (SXF) it is 40€. But for flights during the day either is OK although in fact Easyjet usually wins on price and it is simpler to get the train or S-Bahn

Edited: 24 October 2013, 09:16
Chester, United...
Level Contributor
3,010 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time in berlin

We are flying with Easyjet Liverpool-Schonefeld. I don't think there is any choice with the UK based budget airlines, or probably European ones.

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
2,213 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time in berlin

We flew with Lufthansa into Tegel from Birmingham. If flexible with flight times you can get a good deal. Tends to be on the later flights out and the earlier flights back.

6. Re: First time in berlin

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2014, 05:19