We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel cards for visiting Berlin. Best value?

Which Berlin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
England
Level Contributor
137 posts
211 reviews
Save Topic
Travel cards for visiting Berlin. Best value?

Berlin Travelcard or Berlin Welcome Card?

Which of these card offer the best value? We need it mainly for travel around the city and seeing a selection of museums & attractions and will be staying for 6 days.

London, United...
Level Contributor
15,912 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel cards for visiting Berlin. Best value?

There is no " Berlin Travelcard" (not that I'm aware of).

Given what you say, I think the 5-day Welcome Card might be a good choice for you (you'll also need to buy a day ticket for your sixth day). But it depends on which museums you want to visit. There is also a 72-hour Welcome Card Plus Museum Island option. Check the BVG website for full details of what the different Welcome Cards offer.

You may also want to consider the 72-hour Museum Pass, which gives entry to all the State museums, including the five Museum Island Museums.

http://www.bvg.de/index.php/en/17102/name/Tickets+%2B+Fares.html

It's not possible to say which offers the best value. You need to give it careful thought. I always have a Welcome Card and an Annual Museum Pass, which is terrific value, because I make repeated visits to favourite museums over several Berlin trips. The Welcome Card always saves me quite a few euros because I use it to get the discounts on theatre, concert, and opera seats. But that's me. Your choice needs to be based on you, your interests, and your plans.

England
Level Contributor
137 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel cards for visiting Berlin. Best value?

Thanks for that. I found the Berlin travel card online and it promotes itself as better than the welcome card.

London, United...
Level Contributor
15,912 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel cards for visiting Berlin. Best value?

Can you give us a link, please?

Do you mean this?

www.berlinpass.com/…

Not well thought of: an expensive American import, which people who have used it have reported "not worth having".

Or this?

http://www.bvg.de/index.php/en/1236666/name/Weekly%2B+Monthly+and+Annual+Tickets/article/77395.html

This is the BVG 7-day ticket valid for all public transport for the period of its validity - but only for public transport, no attractions' discounts.

I'm puzzled. I can't find "Berlin Travel Card" on line, but if but if it exists I'd like to know.

Edited: 26 October 2013, 18:11
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
22,944 posts
514 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel cards for visiting Berlin. Best value?

I think he means Berlin Pass. But yes the Welcome Card is much much much better.

England
Level Contributor
137 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel cards for visiting Berlin. Best value?

Yes it was the Berlin Pass which came up in a web search. I'd heard of Welcome Pass - but never Berlin Pass, hence the question!

I hear the message loud and clear...Welcome Berlin!

Worried about my flight on Monday - severe gales forecast for UK at my time of departure!!!

London, United...
Level Contributor
15,912 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel cards for visiting Berlin. Best value?

That's what I thought. But do think about your plans so that you get the version of the Welcome Card that is right for you, and do also investigate the Museum Pass.

7. Re: Travel cards for visiting Berlin. Best value?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 October 2014, 05:21