We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Year Fireworks

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
19 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
New Year Fireworks

It appears that Berlin has fireworks at other places besides the Brandenburg Gates. Are these as spectacular ? We're trying to decide how and where to celebrate and a view of the fireworks and food is important. The party in the open sounds cold and if we are unlucky wet!! Coming from a subtropical climate we are not sure if we will be dressed adequately. Hence our dilemma!! Where to go!! There are some ritzy expensive places, some "young hip parties" and then the Brandenburg Gates. Hotel Palace Berlin says it has a Royal suite with views to go to at midnight, does anyone know how good the view is?? Thanks

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
5,133 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Year Fireworks

There are fireworks everywhere. You can have your own if you want to.

Most people party inside and go out at midnight for the fireworks.

Edited: 05 November 2013, 07:47
London, United...
Level Contributor
17,464 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New Year Fireworks

>There are fireworks everywhere. <

That may be so, but on the one New Year's Eva I spent in Berlin a couple of years ago, I heard a great deal of extremely loud noise that went on until around 4 am, but saw no firework displays. I wasn't really looking, except out of my window in the Oranienburger Strasse, so this is a limited observation. But I've spoken to Berliners, who tell me that fireCRACKERS, as opposed to fireworks, are very common on New Year's Eve - one guy I know emailed me later to say he had "survived the firecracker wars".

What I'm getting at is that if you want to see great fireworks displays, I think you probably need to go somewhere where there is sure to be one. The big party at the Brandenburger Tor is one; there may be others.

Bautzen, Germany
Level Contributor
814 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: New Year Fireworks

Go to Youtube and search for "Berlin Silvester". It's pure mayhem, a bit like the second Battle of Berlin.

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
5,133 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New Year Fireworks

There are a lot of firecrackers as well. But I would be very surprised if Berliners didn't fire fireworks as the rest of the country.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2pxs_K9NKE

That's Hohenschönhausen

Firecrackers are cheaper and for some the age limit is lower, therefore you get more of them.

Edited: 05 November 2013, 09:05
Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
5,133 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New Year Fireworks

That's Charlottenburg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APsLOyyhpQk

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
1,797 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New Year Fireworks

These will answer most of your questions:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187323-i135-k6873…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187323-i135-k6918…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187323-i135-k4074…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187323-i135-k6916…

Breda, The...
Level Contributor
2,096 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New Year Fireworks

You can go to brandenburg for the open air and after to one of the party's

Can be cold but just wear a warm wintercoat and boots or shoes that keep your feet warm.

Mits if needed.

Had a few years family from Australia comming over to Europe during winter time and the loved it

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
12,293 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New Year Fireworks

I'm slightly puzzled by your comment "Coming from a subtropical climate we are not sure if we will be dressed adequately.". Do you not intend to spend any more time out of doors in Germany or are you simply flying in from the warmth and heading straight back. The weather can be cold in the day time as well - in fact at this time of year it can be warmer at night if that happens to coincide with a weather front arriving from the west. Regardless, you will need warm clothes including gloves and hats and preferably layers if you intend to visit most of Europe in the winter.

We've attended the last two "Brandenburg Gates" New Years parties and will be back next year. We enjoy crowds and love fireworks and the Germans are friendly and gracious hosts. This is an experience to be relished. We managed both years in the same sorts of clothes (outer layers, we're not unwashed hooligans!) that we'd been wearing in the day time when visiting Potsdam, Spandau, Nennhausen (brr) and within the city. If you don't have decent winter wear you could have a miserable time.

I documented out first visit here ...

…travelpod.com/travel-blog-entries/…_

and most of the images embedded in the text are video - including one of the firecrackers being let off at Alexanderplatz and another that shows plenty of unofficial real fireworks.

All in all it's a great party. There will almost certainly be internationally famous musicians appearing - last year The Pet Shop Boys were the headline act. Plenty of food available and also very well organised and clean toilets for €0.50 a go. You might be there for seven hours if you feel up to a dance after midnight so that's important. Loads of food and drink available at prices that are not unreasonable.

Also - and I'm making an assumption here based on last year's experience - there is a trial run the day/night before when many of the stalls are open, so you can go and get an idea of what it's like in advance.

Berlin, Berlin...
Level Contributor
4 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New Year Fireworks

If you want to have one of the best Firework in berlin and the perfect party location: Asphalt Klub. It's next to the Gendarmenmarkt. I am there every year.

asphalt-berlin.com/silvester/new-years-eve--2

10. Re: New Year Fireworks

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 November 2014, 05:16