We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

20 hour layover

chicago
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
20 hour layover

I have flight itinerary that gives me an overnight in Berlin(20 hours). I realize I can not do this city justice in that time, but was wondering how much I could try to achieve. I'm flying in and out of TXL

Any ideas are welcome, Thanks

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
6,103 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 20 hour layover

OK. So, TXL is around 30 minutes or so to central Berlin. Get a hotel around Friedrichstrasse - the Meliá is good, as is the Radisson near Alexanderplatz - and just hit the streets. You've got time to take a 4-hour walking tour with Insider Tours, which will cover several key areas and sights.

If you were at the Radisson, and excellent walk would be right down Karl-Liebknecht-Strasse to the Lustgarten and Museum Island, then past the Humboldt University on Unter den Linden to the Brandenburg Gate. Through the Gate to the right you have the Reichstag; to the left is the Memorial to the Murdered Jews of Europe and Potsdamer Platz.

What are your dates and times?

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
9,964 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 20 hour layover

20 hours is a long time, but not optimal if you arrive late in the afternoon and depart early in the morning during winter. It would be best if you mention the time and date you will stopover.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
31,342 posts
588 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 20 hour layover

It really depends on when you arrive and when you are scheduled to depart.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
2,578 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 20 hour layover

I agree with Darren. For a short visit, everything you want to see is withing 3-5 blocks on either side of Unter den Linden. There are lots of hotels in this area. The Adlon (pricey) has the most history. If you are nicely dressed, walk in and pay about 3x what you would expect for a cup of coffee in the lobby. The Westin used to be the East German hotel for visiting big shots. Walk from the Brandenburg Gate to Alexander Platz. You should see the Holocaust memorial behind the US Embassy and the Adlon. If you have time, the Sony Center is just south of the Gate. If raining, some of the best museums are just off UdL on the way to Alexander Platz, just to the north. The Gendarmen Platz has two wonderful, historic buildings and good restaurants. The big, protestant church on UdL impresses a lot of people but is not particularly old. I would skip it. If it's raining, the history museum is very interesting and well done. The new addition is by IM Pei.

chicago
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 20 hour layover

Thanks for all the advice, I feel much encouraged already. My layover is from 2pm till 10am next morn. so I should be able to see a lot.

ps next Sept.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
31,342 posts
588 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 20 hour layover

You can see a lot during that time. Unfortunately you won't be able to do a walking tour, but depending on your interests you can see a museum or two and then spend time in the evening with the nightlife.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
6,103 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 20 hour layover

Unfortunately you will indeed miss the walking tours, which tend to be at 10 and 1. But you could still do a self-guided tour - Lonely Planet has an app - or as I said, just hit the streets and walk.

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
5,139 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 20 hour layover

Get an idea about the sights along Potsdamer Platz, Brandenburg Gate, Unter den Linden, Museums Island, Hackische Höfe, Nickolaiviertel and hit the road. Find a nice place for dinner and enjoy your time in Berlin.

9. Re: 20 hour layover

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 November 2014, 05:17