We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

flying visit - which is best Christmas Market

Peterborough...
Level Contributor
221 posts
165 reviews
flying visit - which is best Christmas Market

We are on a flying visit to Berlin arriving Sunday departing Tuesday and staying in Leitzenburger strasse, which is the best and nearest Christmas Market for us (no children to consider)?

Thanks

Best Seller
Discover Berlin Half-Day Walking Tour
1,925 Reviews
from US$16.10*
Best Seller
Berlin Bike Tour
588 Reviews
from US$36.90*
Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
1,797 posts
29 reviews
1. Re: flying visit - which is best Christmas Market

The nearest is the one at Kaiser Wilhelm Memorial Church, but if it is the best, see for yourself: tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187323-c201945/Berli…

Hampshire
Level Contributor
32 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: flying visit - which is best Christmas Market

Having just returned from my first trip to Germany yesterday, and having been round the xmas markets in Berlin, my personal opinion is that the Gendermenmarkt is the best one for buying things. I believe you are meant to pay a euro to get in, although we turned up in the early afternoon and were let in free. This one has an indoor section (although most of it is outdoors), where there are loads of crafty things, and you are kept nice and warm whilst looking around. It also had a brass band playing, which was nice.

If you are willing to brave the cold, then Alexanderplatz was really good, especially if you are going for the sites and atmosphere. You end up huddling round wood fires, drinking hot beverages, and smelling some awesome smells from the sausages, nuts, and crepes. :)

All these places are easy to get to the the underground system. I paid £6.70 for a daily ticket which meant i could hop on and off as many times as i wanted, within the main parts of Berlin.

Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
8,575 posts
90 reviews
3. Re: flying visit - which is best Christmas Market

The nicest two are Gendarmenmarkt ,set in a lovely square . The other is Schloss (palace) Charlottenburg http://www.spsg.de/?id=134 it is in front of the palace which is flodlit at night with changing colours.

Ireland
Level Contributor
398 posts
9 reviews
4. Re: flying visit - which is best Christmas Market

I agree with Bongoblog, I am just back from Berlin today and my favourite market by far was Gendarmenmarkt. There is a one euro charge. It seems to be where the locals go and there was a lovely atmosphere in the evening time.

There were many restaurants inside the market and they were all bustling. You will find markets all around the city. All the districts have their own markets and a few of them.

Enjoy your trip :)

Ireland
Level Contributor
398 posts
9 reviews
5. Re: flying visit - which is best Christmas Market

I agree with Bongoblog, I am just back from Berlin today and my favourite market by far was Gendarmenmarkt. There is a one euro charge. It seems to be where the locals go and there was a lovely atmosphere in the evening time.

There were many restaurants inside the market and they were all bustling. You will find markets all around the city. All the districts have their own markets and a few of them.

Enjoy your trip :)

6. Re: flying visit - which is best Christmas Market

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 December 2014, 05:16