We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Steinplatz area or Gendarmenmarkt area

cape coral florida
Level Contributor
155 posts
95 reviews
Save Topic
Steinplatz area or Gendarmenmarkt area

My wife and I are planning our first trip into Berlin. We would be using hotel points from one

of the hotel chains in which we have points for our stay. One of the Hotels is in the Steinplatz

area and the second hotel is almost in the Gendarmenmarkt. Our interests, in addition to the

desire to become familiar with the city as a whole, are directed to art, music, architecture, and

history. In beginning to become familiar with the city it appears that the Gendarmenmarkt appears

to be more centrally located and probably better for our interests; however, if travel from Steinplatz

to other parts of the city is not difficult AND if there are some really special reasons for staying there then we would consider staying there. If there are some really special reasons for locating at

these locations I would really appreciate your comments. Thanks.

London, United...
Level Contributor
18,442 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Steinplatz area or Gendarmenmarkt area

Shopping would be a reason to stay at the Steinplatz location. Given your interests, and given that most of the historical sites and most of the museums are in the east, Gendarmenmarkt is by far the better location. So go with your instinct and stay there.

Edited: 06 December 2013, 08:57
Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
1,797 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Steinplatz area or Gendarmenmarkt area

I really like the area around Steinplatz, Savignyplatz and Kantstrasse for the mixture of architecture there.

But if you don't want to go shopping around Kurfürstendamm, visit the zoo or stock exchange, see a movie in Delphi cinema or a show in Theater des Westens, have dinner around Savignyplatz or the restaurant of Filmbühne am Steinplatz, have a drink in Paris Bar and finishing the day in Schwarzes Café at dawn, you are better off in Mitte with the museums and anybody else.

Otherweise, Zoo station is nearby...

Barrie, Canada
Level Contributor
126 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Steinplatz area or Gendarmenmarkt area

I stayed at Gendarmenmarket before and liked the location; close to Fridrichsstreet.

4. Re: Steinplatz area or Gendarmenmarkt area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 December 2014, 05:16