We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ticket Validation - Welcome Card

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,972 posts
83 reviews
Save Topic
Ticket Validation - Welcome Card

We will be using the 3 day Welcome Card. After reading all the posts re validating train, bus and tram tickets, what happens with the Welcome Card. Do we need to validate that too, and if so, how?

Thanks, Deb

London, United...
Level Contributor
18,442 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ticket Validation - Welcome Card

The Welcome Card IS a ticket. It isn't a "card", it looks just like an ordinary ticket, and it is validated it just as an ordinary ticket is validated, in the box on the platform.

The only difference between the Welcome Card and an ordinary ticket is that it says "Welcome Card" on it, so that it is recognisable when you present it for a discount.

Edited: 09 December 2013, 06:27
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,972 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ticket Validation - Welcome Card

Thanks for that Alabastron. So that means validating before each and every trip, is that correct?

You obviously put it in the machine before boarding trains and trams. What about buses? And do you have to validate again when leaving stations and tram stops, as we do here in Australia?

Thanks, Deb

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
38,997 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Ticket Validation - Welcome Card

No. You must validate the ticket only once before using it the first time. Any further stamp will void the ticket. The 72 hours validity period of the WelcomeCard starts with the date/time stamped on the ticket.

Ticket validators are in case of regional trains, S-Bahn and U-Bahn on or at the access to the platforms. With trams and buses on board.

Edited: 09 December 2013, 07:56
London, United...
Level Contributor
18,442 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ticket Validation - Welcome Card

And you must carry the ticket with you at all times, as you may be asked to show it to an inspector. If you travel without your ticket you are presumed not to have one, and are liable to a fine. So be vigilant when you change handbags!

Edited: 09 December 2013, 08:26
London, United...
Level Contributor
18,442 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ticket Validation - Welcome Card

And to underline what Abalada said, the 72-hour Welcome Card is valid for 72 hours: it is not a "3-day" Welcome Card. If you arrive late in the evening, you might want to buy a single ticket to your accommodation, and wait until the following morning to validate the Welcome Card.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,972 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ticket Validation - Welcome Card

Thanks everyone, I am now very clear on what to do. I am aware that it is 72 hours, not three days. We actually arrive Sunday afternoon and leave early Thursday morning. We don't plan on activated the Welcome Card until Monday morning and using it all through Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. Won't need it Thursday as will probably catch a cab to Berlin Hbf for our train to Munich.

Thanks again.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
38,997 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Ticket Validation - Welcome Card

With your train ticket to Munich you can start your trip from any train station or S-Bahn station in central Berlin. I.e. by regional train or S-Bahn train to Berlin Hauptbahnhof or Berlin Südkreuz for the train to Munich.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
31,342 posts
588 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ticket Validation - Welcome Card

Yes please be sure to carry your ticket at all times especially if you are using the regional trains and you are going out to Potsdam or Oranienburg. The inspector will go around the train validating each ticket to make sure you purchased tickets.

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
864 posts
279 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ticket Validation - Welcome Card

We are travelling from Schonberg airport (spelling???) to Zoological Gardens (Hotel Concorde). A friend told me today the journey into City is vey confusing. From what I have read it seems very straight forward unless I am mistaken. I was going to get a one way train ticket to cover zone c and then get a 72 hour zone a and b welcome card. We're staying 4 nights. On the way back get another zone c to airport. Does that sound ok?

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
31,342 posts
588 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ticket Validation - Welcome Card

@ biancat,

Basically your first day you want to get an all day ABC pass (to cover Zone C) and then the next day validate your 72 hour Welcome Card and on the last day just get an extension for Zone C to get back to the airport.

My first advice depends on when you are coming in. So if you are coming in late in the day then you don't want to get an all day ABC pass. I only said that in case you are doing activities. If you are just wanting to go to your hotel then all you need is a one way ticket to your hotel which I believe is 3.20 Euros right now for a ABC ticket. But if you are planning to use the trains (S Bahn, U Bahn, etc for the rest of the day then an all day pass is the more economical choice @ 7.20 Euros for the day.)

You can find the information here.

http://www.bvg.de/index.php/en/17182/name/Single+Tickets+and+Day+Ticket/article/77392.html