We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which neighborhood would you recommend in Berlin?

Laval, Canada
Level Contributor
268 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Which neighborhood would you recommend in Berlin?

Hi all,

I am looking at rent a small apartment (1 bedroom or studio) in Berlin. Like most people I want to find the best quality/price accommodation and the one that will maximize my limited time (5 nights).

I am a bit confused at which neighborhood(s) in Berlin I should be looking at!

Which neighborhood would you recommend?

We want to use public transport only and be the closest to the major attraction in Berlin. We are a couple in our mid-50's, so nightlife is not important. Is there any "unsafe" neighborhood in Berlin?

Thank you in advance for your suggestion and comments.

Looking forward to visit Berlin in May.

Ax

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Munich, Amsterdam, The Ardennes
Level Contributor
7,568 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which neighborhood would you recommend in Berlin?

Mitte and Prenzlauer Berg are the nicest places imo. Mitte has more hotels and better transport connections.

I always pick PB to stay and rent a airbnb appartment and travel by rented bicycle.

Areas in Berlin are not unsafe but many places look rather shabby.

Edited: 16 December 2013, 14:44
London, United...
Level Contributor
17,232 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which neighborhood would you recommend in Berlin?

May is a lovely time to visit Berlin.

You'll want to stay as centrally as possible, in order to be as close as possible to as many of the things you'll want to see and do as possible. Mitte and nearby Prenzlauerberg are probably your best choices. It's a good idea to stay in an apartment, where you'll have more space for your money. This is a good firm to look at:

http://www.urban-apartments.com/berlin/

They have nice apartments of all sizes and prices in all the central areas, and in my experience are reliable and helpful. You could also look at airbnb.

There are a couple of areas of Berlin that I wouldn't want to walk around in at night, but they are not areas that tourists are ever likely to go to.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
26,839 posts
538 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which neighborhood would you recommend in Berlin?

The Mitte is the best place to stay for a first timer. Also if you plan on eating out a lot a hotel would suit you best. If you want to do some cooking inside then an apartment would be better. Also would give you more space.

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
18,174 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which neighborhood would you recommend in Berlin?

jordan didn't you read the OP's firsl line .. "looking at rent a small apartment "

axeone - another vote for looking at www.airbnb.com - we rented a lovely one bed apartment in Mitte (3min walk from Rosenthallerplatz station/tram) for a week last January. We're in your demographic, felt totally safe, quiet neighbourhood, lots of great restaurants nearby (or a short tram ride away) bakery at the station for breakfast on the go each morning but having the apartment was great - could spread out a bit, cook if we wanted, wash clothes (washing machine in the bathroom), free wifi, owner super friendly & lived downstairs (not that we needed her) all for 50euro/night

cheers

helen

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
19,593 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which neighborhood would you recommend in Berlin?

Rosenthaler Platz is a good location as you have the U8 underground line, the tram (down to Museum Island, up to Prenzlauer Berg) but in fact can walk to a lot of the sights.

Laval, Canada
Level Contributor
268 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which neighborhood would you recommend in Berlin?

Thanks to all of you for your excellent comments and suggestion!

Is Checkpoint Charlie a good area?

It looks like close to U6 line and buses. From StreetView*, looks more local business and less "touristy". And also looks close to major attractions (e.g.: Reichstag Building, Brandenburg Gate, etc...).

Thanks.

Ax

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,232 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which neighborhood would you recommend in Berlin?

>Is Checkpoint Charlie a good area?<

It's not a bad location, but I don't think it's an especially good one either. You'll want (I suppose) a good choice of eating places nearby, as well as proximity to sights and sites and museums, and Rosenthaler Platz, which thmoore and Lynda mention, is much better in that respect, as is Hackescher Markt. At Rosenthaler Platz there is the Circus Hotel, which has apartments, and that might suit you even better than a privately rented apartment: all the advantages of an apartment plus a staffed reception desk in case you have questions or need help.

http://www.circus-berlin.de/

Edited: 17 December 2013, 15:41
Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
19,593 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which neighborhood would you recommend in Berlin?

Location of Checkpoint Charlie is Ok although the U6 isn't a very useful line but the U2 which is near (at Stadtmitte) is more use.

However I would say the area by Checkpoint Charlie basically caters to tourists in fact. Nothing wrong with that, it means quite a bit to keep you occupied esp if Cold War history interests you. Otherwise it's mainly a business area (offices), not a real neighbourhood whereas Rosenthaler Platz is a proper neighbourhood as it has no tourist attraction immediately there but lots of local shops and restaurants/cafes.

Edited: 17 December 2013, 18:13
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
5,822 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which neighborhood would you recommend in Berlin?

The area immediately south and west of Checkpoint Charlie, towards Hallesches Tor and Anhalter Bahnhof, aren't bad though, if you wanted to be in the south-central part of the city.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
2,412 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which neighborhood would you recommend in Berlin?

We rented a great apartment in Wilmersdorf. Quiet but close to Pariserstrasse and the Ku'damm. Also close to the Ubahn which means close to everything.