We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maestro debit cards

Albufeira, Portugal
Level Contributor
65 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Maestro debit cards

Hello.

Does anyone one knows if Maestro debit cards are easily accepted at ATM's in Berlin?

Thank you.

Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
7,781 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Maestro debit cards

They do not work at all banks. At an Deutsche bank machine they work and I think Targo bank

UK
Level Contributor
6,900 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Maestro debit cards

"They do not work at all banks. "

Are you sure about that?

German EC cards are Maestro cards. German EC cards work at all ATMs in Germany. Are you saying that German ATMs make a distinction between German Maestro cards and foreign Maestro cards?

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
7,210 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Maestro debit cards

I've never had a problem with my dutch maestro bank card in germany for either atm transactions or pin purchases.

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
5,135 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Maestro debit cards

I never had a problem with my German Maestro Card anywhere in Europe, so I would guess it also works the other way round.

Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
7,781 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Maestro debit cards

my German card works in all banks but my Dutch ABN card does not, I have also had problems with UK cards

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
1,797 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Maestro debit cards

Maestro debit cards work with any ATM that has the Maestro sign on it, which are most ATMs in Germany...

You can search for an ATM on their German website: mastercard.com/de/privatkunden/services_geld…

Just put in the street where you are staying ("Adresse") and Berlin ("Ort") or the postcode ("Postleitzahl") and click on "suchen".

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
1,797 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Maestro debit cards

@aviatrix

>German EC cards are Maestro cards.

No, not all.

During the last years some German banks introduced V Pay debit cards which are issued by Visa.

These cards use chip technology and are safer than the Maestro cards, but are not accepted in other parts of the world than Europe, e.g. the U.S. or Asia.

UK
Level Contributor
6,900 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Maestro debit cards

I didn't know about V Pay cards (my German debit card is a Maestro card), and this shouldn't affect the answer to the OP's question. ATMs aren't suddenly going to stop accepting Maestro cards just because some banks no longer issue them.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
20,352 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Maestro debit cards

You have to watch out for the transaction fee when using an ATM. I had to get some cash and wasn't near a branch of Deutsche Bank (my bank in Germany) so I withdrew 100€ from a Euronet ATM and the charge was 4.99€.

Just to add, re acceptance of cards beyond ATMs: I needed the cash because the cinema would not accept even a German EC card to pay for tickets (i was payng 87€ for 3 tickets to see an opera from the Met)

Ireland
Level Contributor
394 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Maestro debit cards

It works.. I used my one on my last trip for most purchases I made in all major shops. There was a charge of almost 2 euro for each transaction.