We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Having your own market stall

Ireland
Level Contributor
394 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Having your own market stall

Hi!

I was wondering what you would need to do to have your own cake/cupcake stall for the Christmas market?! I have plenty experience in culinary art & was thinking it would be a great thing to do next year or the year after. Only problem is, I speak no German!!!! I wonder if there is a Continental market in German where I might fit in...!!!

I have read that you would need to make the cakes in an established kitchen ie) Not your apartment kitchen - which is what I first thought I might be able to do...

Thanks in advance :)

Can anybody advise me on what I should do or if I stand a chance?

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
5,134 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Having your own market stall

First of all you need to contact the "Marktamt" or "Ordnungsamt" of the city where you want to have your market stall. If you want to sell food there will be very strict requirements concerning health, hygiene etc. but you will get this information in detail from Marktamt.

You definitely should have someone speaking German at the market stall. I can't think how it should work out otherwise with the majority of your costumers.

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
10,123 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Having your own market stall

I also can't see how you want to communicate with the Ordnungsamt and understand their detailed requirements without knowing German.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,871 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Having your own market stall

From my frequent observations over eight years of the Stuttgart Christmas Market your likelihood of having a stall at a major Christmas market that attracts millions of visitors is nil. The same businesses return each year and occupy the exact same places in the market. Having such a spot is so profitable that many of the stall operators attend only a handful of such special events a year and make a good living from it. As the number of booths doesn't increase and no one gives up their existing ones, you'll never have a place. And miraculously, if a space did occur, there is probably already a long waiting list for it.

It's probably possible to get on a very small Christmas Market with few visitors somewhere, the amount of money paid for the privilege would be low, and the expectations from you would be low. You'd probably also have to supply your own stall and be expected to have completely removed it before business hours the morning after the market closes.

Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
7,772 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Having your own market stall

Many Christmas markets are run by individuals who pay the city/town for the permission.

If you want a market in Berlin there are a number of them, however not all are as busy as the famous ones.

Most will have smallish rental huts that you can use, the cost of the stand varies greatly from place to place and with what you sell.

It is possible that you might get a place at Schloss Charlottenberg. Remember not everyone makes a big profit at them,many lose money and do not return.

I do not know what they would charge but for my stand(our own) to sell Gluewein and food the cost was going to €32000 for the place(Standgeld)

I have never seen cupcakes on a Xmas market ,so have no idea if they would sell.

You can PM me if you need more info

Frankfurt
Destination Expert
for Frankfurt
Level Contributor
5,835 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Having your own market stall

Try the Frankfurt Christmas markets that are in the UK. There are 4 of them. Birmingham, Leeds, Manchester, and Edinburgh. If you don't have a kitchen to bake in though, I would forget it.

Why don't you set something up at a flea market instead?

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
4,251 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Having your own market stall

In order to sell food to the public, you also need a "Gesundheitszeugnis" - there will be a physical examination and you will be tested for TBC. When I got mine in the early 1990s, they told me that it didn't expire, but I'm not sure if that's still true. Doesn't seem to make a lot of sense to me that way.

Frankfurt
Destination Expert
for Frankfurt
Level Contributor
5,835 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Having your own market stall

Petra, you don't need these any more.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Munich, Amsterdam, The Ardennes
Level Contributor
7,692 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Having your own market stall

Bongoblog: for 32000 you must get a pretty big place for a stand right?

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
20,352 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Having your own market stall

In Berlin the market on Sophienstrasse seems to me the best bet in terms of size of market and what you want to sell. For example we bought some sauces/dips with interesting flavours. I was with 2 friends who don't speak German and discovered that all the stallholders on Sophienstrasse we interacted with spoke English (with one I switched into German after my friends had moved on).

Here's the website, which as you see is in German only. As the others have pointed out you will need to be with a German-speaker throughout (starting with looking at the site, filling out the forms etc). The market is weekends only.

In Charlottenburg you would be just one of a huge choice of food

I've been to the Frankfurt market in Birmingham and was very impressed but selling cupcakes doesn't sound a viable option there if the point about it is that it is a German market.

Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
7,772 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Having your own market stall

For the stand and an area around to drink in of I think 9mx9m,though it might have been 8x8. We did it the first year that there was a market there,which was fine . Next year they doubled the money and we said bye bye,others I know paid and some lost a lot!

A weekend market for someone to rent an apartment and travel to Berlin for is not really a viable proposition.

If you have a food hygiene certificate in Ireland then it should be valid in Germany,under EU rules.

Can you really bake enough cakes in a domestic oven to sell? I would advise a second sale item in case the first is not a success