We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 Day Museum Island Pass

Which Berlin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Washington, DC
Level Contributor
1,545 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
3 Day Museum Island Pass

I will be purchasing the five day Welcome Card with transportation. Am I correct that I cannot buy the 3 day Museum Island pass with that card? Can I purchase the 3 day pass buy itself? The three day Welcome Card does not make sense for what we want to do in our 4.5 days in Berlin. I need to get discounts on day one and day four of our trip.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
24,505 posts
523 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 Day Museum Island Pass

Here is a good site for the info.

visitberlin.de/en/…

Looks like you would need the 3 day Museum Island Pass --> visitberlin.de/en/article/berlin-welcomecard… ---> and then get a 2 single day passes for the time you will be in Berlin.

2. Re: 3 Day Museum Island Pass

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 29 December 2013, 08:01
Edited: 29 December 2013, 08:01
London, United...
Level Contributor
16,460 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 Day Museum Island Pass

>I will be purchasing the five day Welcome Card with transportation. Am I correct that I cannot buy the 3 day Museum Island pass with that card?

Yes. The 72-hour Welcome Card (note: 72 hours, not three days) covers all public transport use, plus free entry to the five Museum Island museums. It also offers a wide range of discounts.

>>Can I purchase the 3 day pass by itself? <

No, you cannot buy the 72-hour Museum Island pass separately from the Welcome Card.

If you don't think you will use the Welcome Card discounts, then don't buy the Welcome Card (but do be sure that you won't use them before deciding.) Instead, buy day tickets for public transport only, for each day that you are in Berlin. You can also buy single tickets for individual journeys, but as you will probably be using public transport quite a lot, the day tickets will be better value.

There is also a €24 three-day Museum Pass, which allows free entry to more than 50 of Berlin's museums, including the five Museum Island museums, but also the Kulturforum museums, the Charlottenburg museums, and the Dahlem museums, amongst others. You can order it on line, or buy it at any of the museums that it covers.

All the information about all the public transport options, including the various Welcome Card options, is here:

http://www.bvg.de/index.php/en/index.html

And here is the information about the three-day Museum Pass.

visitberlin.de/en/article/museum-pass-berlin

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
1,545 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 Day Museum Island Pass

Thanks everyone for your assistance. After doing some more thinking and reading, I think I will just get the 72 hour Welcome card with transportation and will pay for a Museum Island ticket and transportation on our 4th day. I also found out that one of the walking tours I wanted to take, which was making my scheduling difficult, will be offered in 2014 on Friday mornings. So I could take that tour before we get on the train at 3 PM.

London, United...
Level Contributor
16,460 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 Day Museum Island Pass

> I think I will just get the 72 hour Welcome card with transportation and will pay for a Museum Island ticket and transportation on our 4th day. <

I'm not sure that's such a wise decision, if you are at all interested in the museums. If you are, you'd be better off with the three-day Museum Pass. All five museums are huge, and all five are excellent: you can't do justice to more than two of them in a single day.

>I also found out that one of the walking tours I wanted to take, which was making my scheduling difficult, will be offered in 2014 on Friday mornings. So I could take that tour before we get on the train at 3 PM.<

Which walking tour is this?

The Insider and Berlin Walks tours take four hours, and don't normally finish until 2.30. The one I took didn't finish until 3. It depends on how many are on the tour, how interested they are, and how many questions are asked - and above all, how enthusiastic the guide is.

Note that both companies give a 25% discount with the Welcome Card, a saving of €3.

Edited: 29 December 2013, 17:35
Washington, DC
Level Contributor
1,545 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 Day Museum Island Pass

Albastron Thanks for your input. I was just on the phone talking to my travel partner and we have a lot of thinking and prioritizing what want to do. The walking tour I was speaking on is really a tour that the Berlin Underworlds Association does. Their basic tour is only 90 minutes and starts at 11 AM so I think we can get back to the hotel (Radisson Blu), get our bags and get to the main train station by 2:30. Also a lot of what we plan will be weather dependent (we will be in Berlin the first week of February) so I think we will have to keep multiple options open. If the weather is horrible I am sure we will be in the Museums a lot more.

London, United...
Level Contributor
16,460 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 3 Day Museum Island Pass

Yes, the Berlin Unterwelten tour is 90 minutes long and should finish on time, so you should have plenty of time to get to your train.

Berlin Unterwelten give a 25% discount, so if you still have a Welcome Card, you'll save €2.50.

It will be cold in February, but probably not colder than DC, and I hope it won't be horrible. You can't really schedule a winter visit - if it snows, it will slow you down - so you're wise to keep all your options open.

Enjoy Berlin: I'm sure you will.

Edited: 29 December 2013, 21:52
8. Re: 3 Day Museum Island Pass

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 December 2014, 06:18