We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dome visit to the Reichstag Building

Nebraska
Level Contributor
311 posts
Save Topic
Dome visit to the Reichstag Building

We only have one day in Berlin on June 19, 2014. When I go to the Bundestag website and look for the Dome visit (2 adults Without the Guided Tour) and search for that week, it says that type of visit is not available for that week. Is it likely they just don't book visits that far ahead from now or it simply is not available period?

It appears Week 9 (February 24th week) is the furthest date out that they do allow booking for just the Dome visit.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
26,025 posts
524 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dome visit to the Reichstag Building

From what I remember we booked early June for late September, so it was nearly 4 months in advance. So unless it has changed you may want to write an email to them to check.

London, United...
Level Contributor
16,980 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dome visit to the Reichstag Building

The dome closes every so often for cleaning and maintenance work, but it's more likely that you're trying too far ahead. There's no need for that: try again a few weeks before your visit.

If you can't visit the dome, there are excellent views of Berlin from Panoramapunkt in Potsdamer Platz: no registering, no waiting, and, apparently, the fastest elevator in Europe.

http://www.panoramapunkt.de/en/welcome.html

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,871 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dome visit to the Reichstag Building

I had the same problem. We were only able to book in mid-November for a visit next week. Easy to book the tour, but had to wait to just see the Dome.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
828 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dome visit to the Reichstag Building

Here is my take on the Dome. For some reason, I thought I would be able to look down thru the middle of the dome to the Bundestag below - no. It was interesting to read the info they had on display in the Dome. Unfortunately, we had a 9:00 AM appointment. We could see very little out of the Dome as we walked the spiral walk due to condensation on the glass of the Dome. We did go out on the roof top so we did get the view of the city. I am glad I did it but if there is omehing else you have in mind for the limited time you have do that instead. Again, this is my opinion only. Also, if you get tickets, they are very strict in security (which is fine). Just be aware of it and bring your picture ID.

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
5,141 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dome visit to the Reichstag Building

Try again in a few weeks, i think its just to Early.

Nebraska
Level Contributor
311 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Dome visit to the Reichstag Building

Thank you for everyone's reply. That may be a tip to do it mid or late day to avoid the window condensation. I don't have enough time for the "tour" since we are only in the city for the one day, traveling from Warnemunde the port city. But I did want to get into the building and see the dome at least.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,871 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dome visit to the Reichstag Building

We had exactly the same issue with condensation on our visit the other day. We had a 10 o'clock reservation. It was still worth it though and we still got some amazing pictures. I still think it was better to get a timed appointment done early and then be free for the rest of the day.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
19,594 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dome visit to the Reichstag Building

I would assume it is too early now to reserve for June. Obviously they are going to be strict about ID: they have asked you to give your full name as it appears on the photo ID plus date-of-birth when pre-booking. Originally there was access without ID being shown (you queued on the steps then went through airport-style security); then in November 2010 no access at all because of terrorist threats. Some time after that they introduced the reservation system requiring those (fairly minimal) personal details of all members of your group.

The views from Panorampunkt (mentioned by Alabastron) are interesting too especially of the Potsdamer Platz/Leipziger Platz area. There are panels explaining historic development of Potsdamer Platz up there too. And a small cafe.

NB re viewpoints: planning to go up the TV Tower is even more problematic as it can often be literally "in the clouds". I've seen that even in April and it's very common in the winter

Edited: 11 January 2014, 19:06
Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
5,141 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dome visit to the Reichstag Building

If you cant make it into the dome of e Reichstags building, go up the cuppola oft Berliner Dom. Its in the other sie oft Museum Island but offers almost the same view without all the pre-booking and security.

10. Re: Dome visit to the Reichstag Building

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 January 2015, 06:19