We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2014 Schedule for Pergamum Museum

Which Berlin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Suffield...
Level Contributor
38 posts
134 reviews
Save Topic
2014 Schedule for Pergamum Museum

I've heard that the Pergamum Museum will be closing in early 2014 for several years of renovation. Does anyone know about this? If it's correct, on what date will the museum close?

Thanks for your help!

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
19,553 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2014 Schedule for Pergamum Museum

There's nothing on the German website different from the English page i(mentioning staggered renovation) . In any case I can't imagine they would close it and lose all that revenue!

The main entrance to the Pergamonmuseum has been closed for a while, last June we already had to access the museum using an entrance near the Neues Museum ticket-office (ie you aim for the Neues Museum; there are signs)

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
25,299 posts
523 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2014 Schedule for Pergamum Museum

I can't imagine it would close for a few years, not with the revenue they get and how popular it is. Maybe if they were trying to expand it and they closed off a few sections, but I can't see it closing down for that long of time.

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
37,197 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 2014 Schedule for Pergamum Museum

The Pergamon Museum will be renovated and extended, but never fully closed.

museumsinsel-berlin.de/gebaeude/…

- October 2012 closing of the north wing

- Autumn 2014 closing of the the Pergamon hall

- Mid 2019 north wing and Pergamon hall will re-open

- 2019 - 2025 renovation south wing and creation of a further forth wing

Suffield...
Level Contributor
38 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2014 Schedule for Pergamum Museum

Good news! Thank you.

London, United...
Level Contributor
16,721 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2014 Schedule for Pergamum Museum

>- October 2012 closing of the north wing

- Autumn 2014 closing of the the Pergamon hall

- Mid 2019 north wing and Pergamon hall will re-open<

I'd say that five years of Pergamon hall closure does actually constitute an effectively total closure of what for most (if not all) visitors is the museum's chief draw - and for most visitors it symbolises the museum. When Colona 1998 expresses concern about "the closure of the Pergamon museum" I suspect that is what s/he means. If I came all the way from Connecticut to Berlin in the hope of seeing the Pergamon Altar, I'd be extremely disappointed to find it closed.

Jordan, there you go again! There's often a crucial difference between facts and your opinion.

Suffield...
Level Contributor
38 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2014 Schedule for Pergamum Museum

I meant to send a "Thank you" to all three who replied.

To you who posted that the north wing is currently closed and that the Pergamon Hall will close in August (Autumn? whatever) of this year: what is in the north wing that I can't see if I visit now?

I'm considering a quick trip from the US just to see the prehistoric, ancient, and medieval stuff in Berlin's museums. So I want to know more than I did when I went to Amsterdam and the museum was closed for years!

London, United...
Level Contributor
16,721 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2014 Schedule for Pergamum Museum

Yes, it's frustrating, isn't it? We had the same experience in Amsterdam eight years ago when it wasn't just the Rijksmuseum that was closed, the Stedelijk was too. It was not a good time to go to Amsterdam.

The North Wing of the Pergamon Museum contains the Museum of the Ancient Near East, which includes the Ishtar Gate of Babylon and an enormous and interesting collection of smaller artefacts, plus the facade of the throne hall of King Nebuchadnezzar.

If you come before the autumn 2014 closure of the Pergamon Hall, you can still see the Pergamon Altar, and the Museum of Islamic Art on the upper floor.

And there is much more in other museums. The Altes Museum contains the rest of the ancient Greek collection of sculpture and and pottery, and also the Etruscan and Roman collection. The Bode Museum contains the splendid collection of European sculpture 10th-18th century. So you aren't going to run out of things to see that satisfy your interests.

Edited: 14 January 2014, 23:21
Suffield...
Level Contributor
38 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2014 Schedule for Pergamum Museum

Alabastron, thank you very much for your information. Actually, the Near Eastern stuff interests me greatly, so I think waiting until 2019 is, unfortunately, my best course of action. I've been visiting archeological sites and wanted to see the artifacts that had been moved to Berlin (I've seen Paris, London, and the American museums).

The other area I didn't mention is archeological finds from prehistorical Russia, Ukraine, Georgia, Poland, Bulgaria, and sites west of those. I'll see if there's a museum in Berlin with some of those finds. I liked the archeological museums in Warsaw and Budapest.

London, United...
Level Contributor
16,721 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 2014 Schedule for Pergamum Museum

You're welcome. 2019 seems a long time to wait, but it is a great collection, and worth waiting for.

Perhaps you should come to London instead, and spend time in the British Museum. :0)

Edit. Oops - I see you already have.

Edited: 15 January 2014, 08:59
Suffield...
Level Contributor
38 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 2014 Schedule for Pergamum Museum

Thanks! Yes, we've been to sites and places in the UK (our son made the wise decision to attend university there), but the time approaches when we need to visit them again. ;)

I'm also going to check out the archeological museums in Scandinavia. They're probably not a great idea this time of year, but I've been told of museums with ancient ships that have been dredged out of northern waters (maybe in Oslo?).

Regards, Elizabeth