We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Youth hostel or safe budget B&B?

Which Berlin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Eastlake, Ohio
Level Contributor
556 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Youth hostel or safe budget B&B?

I'm a single 57 y/o female who needs a place to stay for five or seven days in Berlin. I'll be traveling all over Europe for a few months. I'm just starting to plan. I don't mind youth hostels, but I want to know if they are comfortable or will I really be the odd one out in a see of younger people?

Frankfurt
Destination Expert
for Frankfurt
Level Contributor
5,519 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Youth hostel or safe budget B&B?

I am close to the same age as you, and frankly, would not be excited about sharing a dorm room and bathroom in a hostel, especially when I can get a room in a pension or budget hotel for under 60 € per night.

Check Motel One, Ibis, or some of the many Pensions listed here on Trip Advisor.

Eastlake, Ohio
Level Contributor
556 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Youth hostel or safe budget B&B?

I will check out your suggestions and I thank you for your reply. I plan to spend at least three weeks total in Germany tracing my origins. My grandparents were born in Berlin and Munich. I want to see where they grew up if possible. My parents told me it is a lost cause, but I want to go anyway.

My grandfather fought in WWI and came to America in 1921 and my grandmother came in 1925. The rest of the family came to America in the early 1930s and maybe a few cousins remained, but I have no record of them as my mother told me.

I have a little knowledge of speaking German, will that be OK?

Right now my plans are flexible and I could easily spend as much time possible, as I am now retired.

Hanau, Germany
Level Contributor
2,193 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Youth hostel or safe budget B&B?

A lot of hostels also offer privat rooms, my dad used them often when he was well over 60, but not so much in cities, there you might find a younger crowd, you can check here what the hostels have to offer http://www.jugendherberge.de/en/ the nice thing is you're not as isolated as you are in a hotel.

Not speaking german shouldn't be a issue a lot of people do speak english, but not all of germans do, so learn the basics, hallo, good bye, please and thank you, I always learn how to ask if people speak german or english in the local language too, that way I can ask politely and just about always find someone who does.

Eastlake, Ohio
Level Contributor
556 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Youth hostel or safe budget B&B?

Thank you Uta for the link provided.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
87 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Youth hostel or safe budget B&B?

Hi,

Have a look at the Circus, they have both hotel and hostel. My husband and I stayed at the Circus hotel and loved it. Great area and close to the things we wanted to see. We loved Berlin have a fantastic time.

Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Guernsey
Level Contributor
5,165 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Youth hostel or safe budget B&B?

search via travelox.de

they are good at finding offers

(I found a nice rate for the Ludwig von Beethoven hotel, April, 56 euro including what's supposed to be a good breakfast, they do know their breakfasts in Germany ^_^ )

Sweden
Level Contributor
187 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Youth hostel or safe budget B&B?

I would recommend Hotel Pension Columbus am Kurfürstendamm. I have not stayed there myself yet, but my son and his girlfriend stayed there two years ago and they really liked it. I have a reservation for this June.

Have a look at this: http://www.columbus-berlin.com/ Breakfast is included and singles vary from 35 to 75 euros.

Illinois
Level Contributor
16,039 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Youth hostel or safe budget B&B?

I can agree with the Circus. In addition to the hotel and the hostel they also have apartments. I liked having the extra space at night and for eating breakfast. I think it was somewhere around €130/night for a 2 person apartment (although there was only one of me). Their website seems to be having issues at the moment though. I really liked the location. There are a lot of places for dinner nearby which I found convenient.

Everyone I ran into in Berlin spoke English. Normally I ask people if they speak English, but in Berlin everyone spoke it (often better than many native speakers I run into at home) so well that it seemed almost insulting to ask. Amsterdam was like that too.

9. Re: Youth hostel or safe budget B&B?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 February 2015, 05:28