We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Berlin

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
604 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Berlin

Hi just got back from Berlin and if honest so disappointed.

But please let me explain

I have always wanted to go and have it on my list of place to go, I have said to the wife a good option for a City break.

This break was with 25 fellas, so wasn't,t expecting to see too much of the real Berlin

Also the weather was at best -12, and even wrapped up it was so cold.

Please can people restore my faith, as I am considering booking for August and I am hoping people will tell me the city comes to life and becomes the vibrant city I was hoping for. it was like a ghost town at times and I can fully understand with how cold the weather was.

Also we stayed in Alexanderpazt, is this a good location

Will say had a fantastic night in the Hoofenbrau Berlin

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
604 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Berlin

I had watched the weather building up to me going away, and it was mild but you could see the cold front drifting in. I will be honest I was never expecting such cold weather, and as it mentions the cold with the wind was crazy cold.

I think I need to book again and see the warm and inviting Berlin

Not sure if I would book around Alex area again

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
474 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Berlin

If you like some events going on I would pick June to come back. You can't predict the weather, but normally it's okay and there are many big open air events like listed here http://www.berlin.de/en/events/june/

The biggest are carnival of cultures, fête de la musique and christopher street day but there are some more.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
129 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Berlin

I think the weather plays a big part in how you spend your time at your destination. I don't think it's just Berlin, but anywhere where the cold and snow plays a big part. At least here in Canada, you can go skiing and enjoy winter sports, but any activities associated with the other seasons will definitely take a back seat.

I'll be in Berlin in September... Looking forward to it.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
20,657 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Berlin

I love Berlin in May when the city is so GREEN. The autumn is good too, with all the autumn colours especially in the parks (but in fact all over the city). However it can be hit and miss weather-wise, I spent the second half of September last year in Berlin and it was mainly grey, damp and wet, only the last two days were sunny and bright, because the temperature had dropped. Other September visits it has been warm still (and October 2012 was record-breakingly warm till mid-month)

Obviously weather will affect your perception and enjoyment of a place. Barcelona also loses a lot of its appeal on a grey and drizzly day....it's just that Barcelona doesn't have so many of them (but posters always go on Barcelona forum when the weather forecast predicts that, asking: "Can we trust the weather forecast"?!))

Alexanderplatz isn't a very inspiring area to stay either, staying somewhere with more of a neighbourhood feel is probably better.

Edited: 27 January 2014, 20:52
15. Re: Berlin

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 January 2014, 15:29
Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
20,657 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Berlin

jdombstravels, it wasn't me who said Berlin didn't live up to my expectations. I go regularly as we have an apartment there so I'm not looking at doing the really touristy stuff any more. In fact I hadn't added in that last post, as it didn't seem relevant, that in September I was OK about the weather as there were loads of films in German I was interested in seeing, so between them and various exhibitions including some related to "Zerstörte Vielfalt" etc I had no problems filling my time. It'll be interesting to see the exhibitions for the anniversary of the "Mauerfall"

Re Trabis, i've seen the Trabi safaris often enough in central Berlin but when I go to my local supermarket there is often an ordinary Trabi parked on the street, one that an ordinary Berliner drives. There is soon to be a Trabi Museum in Berlin, its being set up near where the Trabi-Safari is based. I'll certainly be interesting in going, some years ago we went to the museum in Zwickau which has a good collection of Trabis (as they were made in Zwickau)

Edited: 27 January 2014, 22:21
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
31,544 posts
588 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Berlin

If you go again which it appears you are planning on doing I would book late September as Berlin has it's own version of Oktoberfest with a hub in Alexanderplatz (last year it was from Sep 27 to Oct 13). You would enjoy that more with 20 people going together and all guys.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
238 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Berlin

I definitely would not recommend a trip to Berlin for the first time in winter. (Too bad you did not get to this forum before your get away).

I’ve experienced all the seasons in Berlin and have no problems; but I do believe that you have to love Berlin in order to come back in a cold month.

I think Martin put it right saying “ I don't recommend to visit the city between November and April”.

See, Berlin ( geologically) lies in the great Grodno-Warsaw-Berlin depression. Basically, think of a tunnel – whenever there is a cold air from Siberia, if it reaches the western parts of Russia/Belarus, it is guaranteed to blow all the way to Berlin. This cold is also known as Siberian High or Siberian Anticyclone. Out of curiosity I looked up if there is a stated period of its most activity. Here’s how the time frame is described: “the Siberian High pressure system begins to build up at the end of August, reaches its peak in the winter, and remains strong until the end of April”.

I had to make several trips between Berlin and Minsk couple years ago. The weather pattern was absolutely the same in both places: if it snowed in Minsk, it guaranteed to snow in Berlin. If it was -10 C in Berlin – the same in Minsk . (Luckily, the weather pattern is the only similarity between these two cities).

Not long ago I looked up on YouTube “East Berlin” and not sure why, one of the first videos was from 1989, the first Christmas in a free city. Somebody with a camera just stood in one place and recorded every moment, for about 7 minutes. No comments. That’s how I experience Berlin (East) in one of my first winter trips there, in 1986: Alexanderplatz covered with snow, there would be narrow paths for walking, criss-crossing it. Otherwise – knee-high snow. Some people were pulling sleighs. Not too many cars ( you had to be crazy to use your precious Trabbi in a cold weather).

Very gloomy. (In a way, Alexanderplatz managed to preserve its gloominess. Gone Zetrum and Exquisits , but it still has very much the feel of the old times).

I don’t mind it – being there brings back a lot of memories, but you definitely do not feel the pulse of the modern day Berlin being there.

Come back in late spring or in summer and enjoy the best what this unique city has to offer.

As for the beer garden… Berlin has a lot of great places to grab a beer ( specially in a warm weather) but as you do not travel to New York for a great barbecue…

(And if you have been to Munich and enjoyed their beergardens/ beerhalls, then please do not come back to Berlin for this pseudo “Oktoberfest” – otherwise, we will see another post from, something like “ Berlin, why I still don’t get it”.)

Edited: 28 January 2014, 02:39
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,973 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Berlin

We must have been very lucky with our weather. We had our first visit from 5th to 9th January, and I was loaded up with thermals and cold weather gear - didn't need any of it.

We were able to walk everywhere and the worst we got was clouds, a lot of the time it was sunny. All we wore were jeans, t-shirts and admittedely a goose down jacket, but that was plenty warm enough.

I was hoping for snow, but didn't see any anywhere in Europe with the exception of the Alps in Switzerland.

Bedfordshire...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
10,519 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Berlin

I am going to buck the trend here, I'm afraid. I love being in Berlin, whatever the time of year and weather (unless there is sustained torrential rain).

Cold weather in January? Blimey, never saw that coming!

We were in Warsaw before Christmas and it was much colder than anything I have experienced in Berlin, but 'forewarned is forearmed' - you dress up warm and adjust your itinerary according.

There are so many great 'indoor' activities in Berlin and because the public transport system is so efficient and reasonably-priced, you can get around easily without getting too cold.

Like every great city, Berlin is different at different times of the year. Embrace the differences,