We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Berlin - Stag Do - Preference on areas to stay and drink

Birmingham, United...
4 posts
Save Topic
Berlin - Stag Do - Preference on areas to stay and drink

Hi Berlin Forumers,

As best man its my job to arrange my buddies stag do. We think Berlin offers us a great plethora of sights, activities and german beers to sample. Possibly for a group of 10-20 in late Sep 2014. The age group is quite mixed and while we will undoubtedly get drunk its not our mission to get so smashed we cant remember anything or annoy the locals.

My dilemma is that using a stag company to arrange everything would be too much money and we would end up with just another stag do package!

Thinking of staying as close to Mitte as possible so its more convenient to get around the sights. Any other locations we should consider.

We are not going to be hitting the insane club scene as large group of drunk males would make it pointless. So ideally i would like to take my best mate around the best and quirkiest bars in Berlin. Friendly atmosphere's but possibly not loads of other stag do's there etc. Can anyone advise a good location for bars like this? We have 2 nights and would like to go to 2 different areas not too far from our hotel location.

Any advice would be magic! Thanks Edd

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
28,517 posts
537 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Berlin - Stag Do - Preference on areas to stay and drink

I would say check this spot out for night life and places to drink.

tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g187323-Activiti…

2. Re: Berlin - Stag Do - Preference on areas to stay and drink

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 17 February 2014, 15:05
London, United...
Level Contributor
17,669 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Berlin - Stag Do - Preference on areas to stay and drink

That may well be, Q, but the OP's friend wants to have his pre-wedding party for his friends in Berlin, and the OP is trying to help. As you live in Germany, and know Berlin, perhaps you could make a helpful suggestion?

He has described the group and its wishes, which don't sound rowdy or excessive - on the contrary - perfectly nicely, and he deserves better than a put-down.

Edited: 15 February 2014, 12:55
Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
7,690 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Berlin - Stag Do - Preference on areas to stay and drink

Well a large group of drunk English males will find it hard to get into many places that not set up to deal with stag do's.

Remember we Brits do not have the best reputation in Europe when it comes to drunk groups ! I suggest breaking into smaller groups and then meet up at an agreed place . This might be of interest http://www.die-berliner-republik.de/en/

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
5,133 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Berlin - Stag Do - Preference on areas to stay and drink

As a German living in Germany I do not very much appreciate hords or drunken Brits in our towns and cities and would prefer if they celebrate their stag-dos on their island, Alabastron ;o)

Edited: 15 February 2014, 13:33
London, United...
Level Contributor
17,669 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Berlin - Stag Do - Preference on areas to stay and drink

Of course. I dislike groups of drunken rowdies disturbing the peace: as much as you both do (probably more, as I see a good deal more of it in London than I ever have in Berlin).

But read his post. This is someone new to the forum, and obviously a civilised person, not a drunken rowdy intent on being a nuisance. He has written a polite, friendly request for help. Just read his post again, the whole of it, instead of lumping it and its writer in with stag do posts you have read on previous occasions.

Edd, I think you're entitled to an apology from Quiltneedle, one you're unlikely to get. But if you stick around, and don't despair or go off in a huff, I think you'll get some good suggestions. Not everyone here is like that.

7. Re: Berlin - Stag Do - Preference on areas to stay and drink

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 17 February 2014, 15:05
Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
7,690 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Berlin - Stag Do - Preference on areas to stay and drink

Well the group may be perfectly nice and well behaved but having lived for many years in Asterdam I am very wary. Most weekends there one is confronted by many such groups (hens too) too drunk and barfing in the streets,a good few also abusive and threatening.

If I saw a group of 20 drunk guys I would certainly be crossing the street to avoid them an I'm a 6ft+ guy. For a lone women it must be very intimidating!

I have to say I never really noticed it in London and that is my hometown!

London, United...
Level Contributor
17,669 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Berlin - Stag Do - Preference on areas to stay and drink

I never take notice of or respond to stag do posts, because I've nothing useful to suggest - and as I said, I dislike what they usually end up in as much as you do. But this one seems to me a cut above the usual, and I think your judgements are staggering, both of you.

I'm done. Have a nice day.

Edited: 15 February 2014, 15:40
Birmingham, United...
4 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Berlin - Stag Do - Preference on areas to stay and drink

Hi Forumers,

Alabraston thanks for your comments of encouragement and indeed thanks to others for their personal views, I respect that no one wants 20 drunk men in their city or home town. A few points to consider…

Having spent 2.5 years traveling the world I encountered many fantastic German guys and girls on my travels and I ask you this; whats the difference between 20 drunk german guys on a stag do in Berlin and 20 drunk English guys in Berlin – think about it before you answer. The fact is nothing. You think us English are worse because, like in life, bad news makes the news; how many times have you heard stories of “last weekend a bunch of English Yobs started a fight in town” over “Last week I met a group of English guys who were a brilliant laugh and really interested to find out about my city”. Bad news sells and makes for more engaging conversation. I’m not saying that you don’t get complete muppets on stag do’s hurling racist comments and causing mayhem – but not everyone is like that.

I can guarantee that we will get drunk, ideally to the point where the stag remembers everything but feels a least a little rough in the morning. The way I see it is that as a stag party we have two options, 1) is to book with a Stag company and go to the Bars that allow Stag groups in, putting us in the environment of binge drinking idiots not interested in the real Berlin or 2) some kind people could suggest other locations and areas that have quirky interesting and friendly bars that would not mind some drunk guys trying to enjoy themselves.

Option 1) will just continue to fuel people’s opinions of stag do’s in their own city, as large groups of stag and hen do’s drunk leaving the same area at similar times will just lead to more trouble and a bigger impression of “idiots abroad”.

Thanks for anyone’s time on this.

Edd