We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Places to eat/drink around Berliner Hof

Bristol
Level Contributor
724 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
Places to eat/drink around Berliner Hof

Hi all

My husband has booked us into the Berliner Hof, Tauentzienstr. 8, Charlottenburg where we'll be staying for 3 nights at the end of March.

Could anyone recommend informal bars/places to eat please? We like all sorts of food and a relaxed informal environment.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Also, is it possible to walk from this location to the big sights? It looks unlikely, but we don't mind walking and would prefer to if we can.

Thanks.

Zoe

Mentioned in this post
Hotel ZOE
Hotel ZOE
849 Reviews
Berlin, Germany
happies
£, Fusion, German, European
Club-Restaurant Das Team "Die Eselin von A."
££ - £££, Seafood, Mediterranean, European
Restaurant Langosch
££ - £££, European, Central European
Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
1,797 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Places to eat/drink around Berliner Hof

Hi Zoe,

You'll find several restaurants and bars across the street in Marburger and Nurnberger Strasse. Department store KaDeWe, which is only 250 meters away has a food court on its upper level. And don't worry about the environment. Berlin is pretty relaxed and informal, sometimes too relaxed...

Brandenburger Tor and Potsdamer Platz are about 3 km away from the hotel. You could walk, but since almost everything else is further east, I'd suggest you take the underground U2 either from Wittenbergplatz or Zoologischer Garten to Potsdamer Platz and start your walk from there.

Bus 100 also leaves from Zoologischer Garten. Please check the article about public transport for details: tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187323-s303/Berlin:G…

Mentioned in this post
Hotel ZOE
Hotel ZOE
849 Reviews
Berlin, Germany
Berlin
Berlin
Germany
Potsdamer Platz
Potsdamer Platz
4,378 Reviews
Berlin, Germany
London, United...
Level Contributor
19,580 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Places to eat/drink around Berliner Hof

It's easy enough to use public transport, zooefroog, and you'll be walking so much once you get to where you're going that you'll be glad you took advantage of the opportunity to sit down for a little while.

The 100 bus, if you choose that option, gives you a scenic tour comparable to the expensive HopOn HopOff buses. It's mate, the 200 bus, takes a different route, past the Kultuforum, and if you plan on going there, it takes you right to it.

>...sometimes too relaxed...<

It would be interesting to hear you elaborate on that, leitstrahl. :0)

Edited: 24 February 2014, 15:13
Bristol
Level Contributor
724 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Places to eat/drink around Berliner Hof

I agree with Alabastron - would love you to elaborate on 'sometimes too relaxed' ;-)

Great help both of you...many thanks.

It sounds like you both would recommend the 100 bus - I can't see on the info how much it is though - any ideas please? The other option, since we are going to need to use the train to and from the Airport, is the 72 hour WelcomeCard - we are there for 3 days, so maybe more sensible. Any thoughts? Would we be able to purchase that at the airport?

Thanks again.

Zoe

Mentioned in this post
Hotel ZOE
Hotel ZOE
849 Reviews
Berlin, Germany
London, United...
Level Contributor
19,580 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Places to eat/drink around Berliner Hof

Yes, you can buy the Welcome Card at the airport. If you are flying into Schönefeld, which is in zone C, you need a card valid for zones AB and C. The card will cover all your transport needs for the 72-hour period of its validity, including the 100 and 200 buses, which are part of the transport network.

You need to validate the card when you first use it, at one of the little machines (yellow or red) on the train platform; and keep it with you at all times, in case an inspector asks to see it. The card is then valid for 72 hours.

The 100 and 200 buses are good. Both are double deckers: try for the front seats on the top deck for the best views. I generally choose to travel on the bus rather than on the U-bahn - why be underground when you can see the sights? That said, the U-bahn is convenient and quick: buses can sometimes be held up by traffic. The U2 from Wittenberg Platz will probably get you to Potsdamer Platz faster than the 200. (Note that the 100 doesn't go to {Potsdamer Platz: it goes north from the Brandenburger Tor around the top of the Tiergarten on its way to Zoo).

You can take either one to Alexanderplatz if you want to see the sights around there. For the Museum Island, get off at the Lustgarten stop, which is two stops before Alexanderplatz.

Edited: 24 February 2014, 17:14
Mentioned in this post
Potsdamer Platz
Potsdamer Platz
4,378 Reviews
Berlin, Germany
Alexanderplatz
Alexanderplatz
3,742 Reviews
Berlin, Germany
Bedfordshire...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
11,279 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Places to eat/drink around Berliner Hof

In case you don't already know, access to the hotel is from the Europa Center - you enter from Tauentzienstr and take a lift up to the hotel. (We stayed there quite a while ago, but it probably hasn't changed)

http://www.berliner-hof.com/en/

Mentioned in this post
Europa-Center
Europa-Center
190 Reviews
Berlin, Germany
Bristol
Level Contributor
724 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Places to eat/drink around Berliner Hof

I didn't know Pericoloso - many thanks for posting!

Thanks Alabastron - it's great that we can use that 3 day pass for the buses too.

Any recommendations on bars and restaurants gratefully received!

Thanks.

Zoe

Mentioned in this post
Hotel ZOE
Hotel ZOE
849 Reviews
Berlin, Germany
Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
8,120 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Places to eat/drink around Berliner Hof

Noah's on Wittenbergplatz(opossite KaDeWe) is good for drinks or a light meal if the sun is out. Great for people watching.

Osteria Ribaltone Motzstrasse/Viktoria Luiseplatz is a lovely informal Italian restaurant, it is very busy so book well in advance(2weeks)

Mentioned in this post
Osteria Ribaltone
Osteria Ribaltone
234 Reviews
Berlin, Germany
Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,078 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Places to eat/drink around Berliner Hof

Maharadscha on Fuggerstraße, a short walk from Tauentzienstraße, is by far the best Indian restaurant in the city in my opinion.

Good Indian cuisine is hard to come by in Berlin. Many Indian restaurants are to be found throughout the city but authenticity and quality of the food is very hit and miss. The quality of the food and the service is unrivalled at any other Indian restaurant in Berlin.

Mentioned in this post
Berlin
Berlin
Germany
Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
1,797 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Places to eat/drink around Berliner Hof

Zoefrog, if it will be warm enough at the end of March make sure you bring sweatpants and flip-flops,since Berlin is a big beach.

And don't forget to buy a bottle of beer to carry around as an accessoires while sightseeing. Your husband may also take his shirt off and have a doner with garlic sauce whilst on the underground.

I think Alabastron knows what I mean. I'll grab myself a beer... ;-)

Enjoy your stay.

Mentioned in this post
Berlin
Berlin
Germany
Bristol
Level Contributor
724 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Places to eat/drink around Berliner Hof

Sounds like we'll be right at home ;-)

I wish you were right about it being warm at least.....

Thanks all for the tips - very excited about seeing Berlin for the first time.

Zoe

Mentioned in this post
Berlin
Berlin
Germany
Hotel ZOE
Hotel ZOE
849 Reviews
Berlin, Germany